International Trade and International Economic Policy, Foreign Direct Investment, East Asian Economy, Japanese Economy, Chinese Economy, Cross Straits Economic Relation, South Asian-East Asian Economic Integration, Australia-Japan Relations
2009 PhD in Economics, Australian National University (ANU)
2005 Masters in International Development Economics, ANU
2004 Graduate Diploma, International Development Economics, ANU
2003 Bachelor of Economics, ANU
2003 Bachelor of Actuarial Studies
2014 - present Fellow, Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University
2009 - 2013 Research Fellow, Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University
2012 - present Research Associate, Center on Japanese Economy and Business, Columbia University
2011 Visiting Fellow, Center on Japanese Economy and Business, Columbia University
2007 Visiting Scholar, Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo
2007 Visiting Scholar, China Centre for Economic Research, Peking University
2007 Visiting Scholar, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Asian Economic Integration Strategies, ANU Press, Canberra, 2018 (ed. with Tom Westland).
- Asian Financial Integration: Impacts of the Global Crisis and Options for Regional Policies, Routledge, London, 2014 (ed. with Yiping Huang).
- International Institutions and Asian Development, London: Routledge, 2011 (ed. with Vo Tri Thanh).
- The Politics and Economics of Integration in Asia and the Pacific, London: Routledge, 2011 (ed.).
- Financing Higher Education in East Asia, ANU E Press, 2011 (ed. with Bruce Chapman).
- "Learning the right policy lessons from Beijing’s campaign of trade disruption against Australia," Australian Journal of International Affairs, Volume7, Issue3, pp 258-275, May 2023 (with James Laureceson)
- "Economic diplomacy and economic security under Abe," Asian Economic Policy Review, 16 (2), forthcoming 2021.
- "World Trading System under Stress: Scenarios for the Future," Global Policy, Volume11, Issue3, pp 360-366, May 2020 (with Akman, S., Braga, C., Dadush, U., Gonzalez, A., Kimura, F., Nagakawa, J., Rashish, P., Tamura, A.)
- "Student loans in Japan: current problems and possible solutions," Economics of Education Review, 71, 120-134. 2019 (with Lorraine Dearden, Masayuki Kobayashi and Nobuko Nagase)
- "Are Free Trade Agreements making Swiss cheese of Australia's Foreign Investment Regime?" International Journal of Public Policy, Volume 13, Issue 3-5, 2017 (with Sam Reinhardt and Tom Westland)
- "Chinese ODI and the Deficiencies of Australia's Foreign Investment Regime," International Journal of Public Policy, Volume 13, Issue 3-5, 2017 (with Peter Drysdale and Neil Thomas)
- "Fiscal Sustainability in Japan," Asia & the Paciﬁc Policy Studies, Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 235-43, 2016 (with Tatsuyoshi Okimoto)
- "East and South Asia: Managing Difficult Bilateral Relations and Regional Integration Globally," Asian Economic Journal, Volume 29, Issue 4, pages 303–324, December 2015
- "The economic impact of the Australia-United States free trade agreement," Australian Journal of International Affairs, Volume 69, Issue 5, 2015.
- "Economic Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific and the Global Trading System," Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies, 1(3), pp 513–521, September 2014.
- "Economics Still Trumps Politics Between Japan and China," KOKUSAI MONDAI (International Affairs), No.634 September 2014.
- "Survey of Recent Developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 48(3): 299-324, 2014 (with Sjamsu Rahardja).
- "Taiwan's Asia Pacific economic strategies after the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement," Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, 18(1), 98-114, 2013.
- "Australian trade policy strategy contradictions," The World Economy, 35(12), 2012.
- "The politics of Japan-China trade and the role of the world trade system," The World Economy, Wiley-Blackwell, 35(9), pages 1102–1120, 2012.
- "Assessing the scale and potential of Chinese investment overseas: an econometric approach," China & World Economy, 19(4), 2011
- "International and regional cooperation: Asia's role and responsibilities," Asian Economic Policy Review, 5, 157–173, 2010. (with Peter Drysdale).
- "Interaction between trade, conflict and cooperation: The case of Japan and China," Asia Pacific Economic Papers, Number 386, 2010.
- "Japanese FDI in China: determinants and performance," Asia Pacific Economic Papers, number 378, 2009.
- "Measuring Trade and Trade Potential: A Survey," Asia Pacific Economic Papers, Number 368, 2007.
Editor, East Asia Forum Quarterly and East Asia Forum online