Regional Science and Urban Economics
- Innovation Enhancing Regional Economic Structure and Evolution of Cities (October 2, 2017 - September 30, 2019)
- Regional Economic Structural Analysis and its Application to Regional Creation (July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2015)
- Seeking Sustainable Regional Economies in the Economic Globalization Age (July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2015)
- Sustainable Regional Development: New industrial clusters and division of functions (July 12, 2011 - June 30, 2013)
- Study of a Self-Supporting Regional Economic System (January 20, 2009 - March 31, 2011)
- Research on Sustainable Local Economic Systems (Until January 31, 2009)
1984 Ph.D. in Socio-Economic Planning, University of Tsukuba
1979 M.Phil. in Environmental Science, University of Tsukuba
1977 Bachelor of Engineering, Kyoto University
2007 Faculty Fellow, RIETI
2007 Visiting Professor, Center for Spatial Information Science, the University of Tokyo
2006 Visiting Fellow, Department of Urban Studies, University of Glasgow
1994 Professor, Department of Economics, Okayama University
1992 Visiting Scholar, University of California, Berkeley
1988 Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Okayama University
1987 Associate Professor, School of Business and Economics, Kinki University
1984 Assistant Professor, School of Business and Economics, Kinki University
Selected Publications and Papers
"Measuring Agglomeration," Chapter 16 in Handbook of Regional Growth and Development Theories, edited by R. Capello and P. Nijkamp, Edward Elgar, 2009.
Urban and Regional Economics, New edition, Tokyo: Yuhikaku, 2009 (with Kuroda and Tabuchi).
"Changes in Agglomeration Economies and Linkage Externalities for Japanese Urban Manufacturing Industries: 1990 and 2000," RIETI Discussion Paper, 08-E-040, 2008.
Papers Published in Refereed Journals
"Empirical Analysis of Agglomeration Economies in the Japanese Assembly-type Manufacturing Industry for 1985-200," Review of Urban and Regional Development Studies, Vol26, No.1, pp.55-77, 2012（co-authored）
"Contributions of Local Agglomeration to Productivity: Stochastic Frontier Estimations from Japanese Manufacturing Firm Data," Papers in Regional Science, Vo.91, No.3, 569-597, 2012.
"Agglomeration Effects on Regional Economic Regional Disparities: A Comparison between the UK and Japan," Urban Studies, 1947 - 1971, Vol.45, No.9, 2008.