Economic Policy, Industrial Structure, Productivity, Labor Market
2007 Ph.D., Economics, Kyoto University
1982 B.A., Interdisciplinary Social Science, the University of Tokyo
2020 Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, and President, RIETI
2009 Vice President, RIETI
2008 Deputy Director-General, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), and Consulting Fellow, RIETI
2007 Senior Researcher, JPC-SED, and Senior Fellow, RIETI
2005 Director, Industrial Structure Policy Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, METI
2003 Director, Macroeconomic Affairs Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, METI
2002 Director, Policy Planning Office, Minister's Secretariat, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
1999 Counsellor (Economic), Embassy of Japan in Australia
1998 Director, Research Office, Small and Medium Enterprise Agency, MITI
1997 Associate Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, and Associate Professor, the University of Tokyo
1995 Associate Professor, Graduate School of Policy Studies, Saitama University, and Special Research Fellow, Research Institute of MITI
1994 Senior Research Fellow, Research Institute of MITI
1982 Joined MITI
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Effects of Outside Directors on Firms' Investments and Performance: Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol. 56, June, 101074, 2020.
- "Dispersion and Volatility of TFPQ and TFPR: Findings from Three Service Industries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 1515-1531, 2019.
- "Policy Uncertainty and Saving Attitude: Evidence from a Survey on Consumers," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 1297-1311, 2019.
- "Uncertainty over Production Forecasts: An Empirical Analysis Using Monthly Quantitative Survey Data," Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol. 60, June, pp. 163-179, 2019.
- "Innovation in the Service Sector and the Role of Patents and Trade Secrets: Evidence from Japanese Firms," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol. 51, March, pp. 43-51, 2019.
- "Firm Heterogeneity and International Trade in Services," The World Economy, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 268-295, 2019.
- "Occupational Licenses and Labor Market Outcomes in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Vol. 48, December, pp. 45-56, 2018.
- "Firms' Expectations about the Impact of AI and Robotics: Evidence from a Survey," Economic Inquiry, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 1054-1063, 2017.
- "What Types of Policy Uncertainties Matter for Business?" Pacific Economic Review, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 527-540, 2016.
- "Factoryless Goods Producers in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Vol. 40, December, pp. 9-15, 2016.
- "How Uncertain Are Economic Policies? New Evidence from a Firm Survey," Economic Analysis and Policy, Vol. 52, December, pp. 114-122, 2016.
- "Business Uncertainty and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Companies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol.49, September, pp. 224-236, 2016.
- "What Types of Companies Have Female Directors? Evidence from Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Vols. 37-38, March-May, pp. 1-7, 2016.
- "A Comparison of the Wage Structure between the Public and Private Sectors in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol. 39, March, pp. 73-90, 2016.
- "Are Large Headquarters Unproductive?" Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Vol. 119, November, pp. 422-436, 2015.
- “Postgraduate Education and Labor Market Outcomes: An Empirical Analysis Using Micro Data from Japan," Industrial Relations, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 499-520, 2015.
- "Financial Constraints on Intangible Investments: Evidence from Japanese Firms," in Ahmed Bounfour and Tsutomu Miyagawa eds. Intangibles, Market Failure and Innovation Performance, Springer, Ch. 6, pp. 139-155, 2015.
- "Productivity and Survival of Family Firms in Japan," Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 70, November-December, pp. 111-125, 2013.
- "Population Density and Efficiency in Energy Consumption: An Empirical Analysis of Service Establishments," Energy Economics, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 1617-1622, 2012.
- "Demand Fluctuations and Productivity of Service Industries," Economics Letters, Vol. 117, No. 1, pp. 256-258, 2012.
- "Economies of Density and Productivity in Service Industries: An Analysis of Personal Service Industries Based on Establishment-Level Data," Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 93, No. 1, pp. 179-192, 2011.
- "Labor Unions and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis Using Japanese Firm-Level Data," Labour Economics, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 1030-1037, 2010.
- "Information Technology and the Performance of Japanese SMEs," Small Business Economics, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 171-177, 2004.
- Small Business in Japan 1999, Ministry of International Trade and Industry, 1999. (editor)
- "Wage Differentials between Industries in Asian Countries," in Tachibanaki, Toshiaki ed. Wage Differentials: An International Comparison, Macmillan, Ch. 10, 1998. (jointly worked)
- "Economic Development in Asian Countries, and the Effect of Trade in Asia on Employment and Wages in Japan," Asian Economic Journal, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 123-151, 1998. (jointly worked)
Japanese Economic Association, American Economic Association
Research Associate, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis (CAMA), The Australian National University
Associate Editor, Japan and the World Economy