Spatial Economics, Development Economics, Labor Economics, Applied Econometrics (Microeconometrics, Spatial Econometrics, Bayesian Econometrics)
- Evidence-Based Policy Making for Regional Revitalization (September 5, 2022 - August 31, 2025)
- RIETI Data Management Project (April 1, 2015 -)
- An Empirical Study on Compact City: Evaluating place-based policies in Japan (September 19, 2017 - August 31, 2019)
2014 Ph.D., Economics, Kobe University
2010 M.A., Economics, Kobe University
2007 B.A., Foreign Studies, Nanzan University
2022 - Associate Professor, RIEB, Kobe University
2020 - Senior Fellow, RIETI
2014 - 2019 Junior Research Fellow, RIEB, Kobe University
2014 - 2020 Fellow, RIETI
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Spatial dependence in regional business cycles: Evidence from Mexican states," Journal of Spatial Econometrics, 3, Article number: 1, 2022.
- "Simulating the impacts of interregional mobility restriction on the spatial spread of COVID-19 in Japan," Scientific Reports, 11, 18951, 2021.
- "Does agglomeration discourage fertility? Evidence from the Japanese General Social Survey 2000-2010, Journal of Economic Geography, 19(3), pp. 677-704, 2019.
- "Sourcing patterns of export-platform foreign affiliates: The case of Japanese affiliates in Mexico," The World Economy, 41(5), pp. 1437-1456, 2018.
- "Hot and cold spot analysis using Stata," Stata Journal, 16(3), pp. 613-631, 2016.
- "Spatial persistence of Japanese unemployment rates," Japan and the World Economy, 36, pp. 113-122, 2015.
- "Migration response to high unemployment rates: Spatial econometric analysis using Japanese municipal data," Journal of the Japan Statistical Society (Japanese Journal), 45(1), pp. 69-98, 2015.
- "Interregional labour migration and real wage disparities: Evidence from Japan," Papers in Regional Science, 94(1), pp. 67-87, 2015. (with Toshihiro Okubo).
Membership of Academic Societies
American Economic Association, Applied Regional Science Conference, Japanese Economic Association, Japan Society of International Economics, Regional Science Association International, Western Regional Science Association
2021 - 2025 Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) Integrated economic analysis of microdata and geospatial information (21K01497)
2017 - 2022 Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) Empirical Analysis of Impacts of Commuting on Married Couples' Labor Supply and Fertility Behavior (17K13743)
2015 - 2017 Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B) Decomposition Analysis of Effects of Agglomeration Economies: Using Matched Employer-Employee Data (15K17066)
2016 Springer Prize, Western Regional Science Association
2014 Kanematsu Fellowship (Nishijima Prize), Kobe University, RIEB
2012 - 2013 Mexican Government Scholarships
2008 - 2009 Japan-Mexico Trainee and Student Exchange Program