Macroeconomics, International Economics, Historical Economics
- East Asian Industrial Productivity (April 1, 2019 - March 31, 2021)
- East Asian Industrial Productivity (April 24, 2017 - March 31, 2019)
- East Asian Industrial Productivity (April 1, 2015 - March 31, 2017)
- East Asian Industrial Productivity (April 1, 2013 - March 31, 2015)
- East Asian Industrial Productivity (April 1, 2011 - March 31, 2013)
- Productivity of Industries and Firms and Japanese Economic Growth (April 21, 2008 - March 31, 2011)
- Productivity of Companies and Industries, and Japan's Economic Growth (Until April 30, 2008)
1984 M.A., Economics, Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo
1979 B.A., Economics, Department of Economics, The University of Tokyo
2020 - Professor Emeritus, Hitotsubashi University
2020 - Specially Appointed Professor, IER, Hitotsubashi University
2018 - President, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade organization (IDE-JETRO)
2013 - 2015 Director, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
1999 - 2020 Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
1989 - 1998 Associate Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
1986 - 1989 Lecturer, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
1984 - 1986 Lecturer, Department of Economics, Seikei University
2010 - 2014 Affiliated Senior Fellow, the 1st Theory-Oriented Research Group, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP), Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
2010 - 2012 Chairperson, Asian Historical Economics Society (AHES)
2010 - Adviser, Maddison Project, University of Groningen
2009 - 2014 Member of the Statistics Commission, Cabinet Office, Government of Japan
1996 - 1997 Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, Bocconi University
1992 - 1994 Visiting Scholar, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan
1991 - 1992 Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, Boston University
1987 - 1989 Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, Yale University
Selected Publications and Papers
- Fukao, Kyoji, Japan’s Economic Growth and Stagnation in Global Historical Perspective: 1868-2018 (Sekai Keizaishi kara mita Nihon no Seicho to Teitai – 1868-2018-), Iwanami Shoten, Publishers, March 2020. (in Japanese) This book was selected as #4 of the best 10 economics books, 2020 by the Japanese business magazine Diamond Weekly.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Naofumi Nakamura, and Masayuki Nakabayashi eds., Iwanami Koza "Nihon Keiza no Rekishi" 6 volumes, Iwanami Shoten, Publishers, 2017-2018. (in Japanese)
- Jorgenson, D.W., K. Fukao and M. P. Timmer, eds., the World Economy, Growth or Stagnation?, Cambridge University Press, November 2016. (ttl. 596 ps.)
- Fukao, Kyoji, Jean-Pascal Bassino, Tatsuji Makino, Ralph Paprzycki, Tokihiko Settsu, Masanori Takashima, and Joji Tokui, Regional Inequality and Industrial Structure in Japan: 1874-2008, Maruzen Publishing Co., Ltd., March 2015.
- Fukao, Kyoji, The Structural Causes of Japan’s "Two Lost Decades": Forging a New Growth Strategy ["Ushinawareta20nen" to Nihonkeizai: Kouzoutekigenin to Saisei no Gendouryoku], Nikkei Publishing Inc., Tokyo, March 2012. (in Japanese) The 55th Nikkei Economics Book Award.
- Ralph Paprzycki and Kyoji Fukao, Foreign Direct Investment in Japan: Multinationals’ Role in Growth and Globalization, Cambridge University Press, March 2008.
- Fukao, Kyoji and Tsutomu Miyagawa, Seisansei to Nihon no Keizai Seicho: JIP Database niyoru Sangyo・Kigyo Level no Jissho Bunseki [Productivity and Japan’s Economic Growth: Industry-Level and Firm-Level Studies Based on the JIP Database], The University of Tokyo Press, March 2008 (in Japanese).
- Fukao, Kyoji and Tomofumi Amano, Tainichi Chokusetsu Toshi to Nihon Keizai [Foreign Direct Investment and the Japanese Economy], Nikkei Publishing Inc., Tokyo, 2004 (in Japanese). The 6th NIRA Ookita-Seisaku Award.
Fukao, Kyoji has published widely on productivity, international economics, economic history, and related topics in journals such as the Journal of Political Economy, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Income and Wealth, Explorations in Economic History, and Economica.