The increasing pace of globalization is greatly changing the character of the international division of labor in both inter- and intra-firm transactions. It has been pointed out that as European market integration evolves, international competitiveness tends to lie within certain tasks of a company, rather than at the industry or firm level. This fragmentation of the international division of labor will reduce predictability and have a significant impact on economic policy.
In Asia, international operations of Japanese manufacturing firms are rapidly developing. How far and rapidly their research and development functions will be outsourced offshore will have severe ramifications on the future course of the Japanese economy. It is imperative, therefore, to deepen understanding of this aspect of the economy and to discuss its policy implications.
In tackling this complex and provocative subject, RIETI is pleased to announce its second international joint seminar with the Centre for Economic Policy and Research (CEPR), the prominent European think-tank. Leading scholars from the CEPR and RIETI will present their most recent findings and discuss the resultant policy implications.
- Time and Date:
14:00-17:00, Monday, November 26, 2007
RIETI, 11th Floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
English / Japanese (with simultaneous interpretation; accepts only the first 40 people)
- Hosts: Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR) and Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
- Admission: Free
- Contact: RIETI
Ms. Chieko Ishihara
*Seminar NOT for quotation
*Summary will be published on the RIETI website
- Richard BALDWIN (Policy Director, CEPR / Professor of International Economics, Graduate Institute of International Studies)
- FUJITA Masahisa (President of RIETI / Professor at Konan University)
- WAKASUGI Ryuhei (Research Counselor, RIETI / Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Kyoto University)
- TOMIURA Eiichi (Faculty Fellow, RIETI / Professor, Faculty of Economics, Yokohama National University)
- ITO Banri (Visiting Scholar, RIETI)
- KAWAMOTO Akira (Director of Research, RIETI)
14:00-14:20 Welcome and Opening Remarks
OIKAWA Kozo (Chairman, RIETI)
14:20-15:00 Presentation by Richard BALDWIN
15:00-15:10 Comments on presentation
15:10-15:25 Q&A and discussion
15:40-16:20 Presentation by WAKASUGI Ryuhei, TOMIURA Eiichi, and ITO Banri
"Offshore Outsourcing and R&D: New Evidence of Japanese Manufacturing Firms"
16:20-16:30 Comments on presentation
16:30-16:45 Q&A and discussion
16:45-16:50 Concluding remarks