Empirical International Trade
- Empirical analysis of firms amidst globalization, digitization and the COVID-19 pandemic (September 14, 2020 - August 31, 2023)
- Empirical Analysis of Corporate Global Activities in the Digital Economy (May 22, 2017 - March 31, 2020)
- Empirical Analysis of Global Activities and Transaction Networks of Japanese Firms (May 18, 2015 - March 31, 2017)
- Empirical Analysis of Trade Policy Preferences at the Individual Level in Japan (May 14, 2013 - October 31, 2014)
- Empirical Analysis of Trade Policy Preferences at the Individual Level in Japan (May 16, 2011 - March 31, 2013)
- Study on Offshore Outsourcing by Japanese Firms (August 4, 2008 - March 31, 2011)
- Research on Changes in Multinational Corporations, Trade Structures, and Market Institutions (July 1, 2007 - March 31, 2011)
1992 Ph.D., Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
1984 B.A., Economics, The University of Tokyo
2015 - Professor, Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2012 - 2014 Dean, College of Economics, Yokohama National University
2005 - 2015 Professor, Department of Economics, Yokohama National University
2003 - 2005 Professor, Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration, Kobe University
2000 - 2003 Associate Professor, Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration, Kobe University
1999 - 2000 Director for Planning and Research, Minister's Secretariat, Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI), Government of Japan
1998 - 1999 Senior Deputy Director, Policy Planning Office, Minister's Secretariat, MITI
1995 - 1998 Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, Shinshu University
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Regional Variations in Exporters’ Productivity Premium: Theory and Evidence," Review of International Economics, Vol.27(3), pp.803-821, August 2019
- "Individual Characteristics, Behavioral Biases, and Trade Policy Preferences: Evidence from a Survey in Japan," Review of International Economics, Vol.24(5), pp.1081-1095, July 2016
- "Task Content of Trade: A Disaggregated Measurement of Japanese Changes," Japanese Economic Review Vol.65, No.2, pp.238-251, 2014.
- "Skew Productivity Distributions and Agglomeration: Evidence from Plant-level Data," Regional Studies Vol.48, No.9, pp.1514-1528, 2014.
- "Offshore Outsourcing and Nonproduction Workers: Firm-level Relationships Disaggregated by Skills and Suppliers," The World Economy Vol. 36, No.2, 180-193, February 2013.
- "Industrial Relocation Policy, Productivity, and Heterogeneous Plants: Evidence from Japan," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Vol.42, pp. 230-239, January 2012.
- "Offshore Outsourcing and Productivity: Evidence from Japanese Firm-level Data Disaggregated by Tasks," Review of International Economics, Vol.19, pp.555-567, August 2011.
- "Offshore Outsourcing Decision and Capital Intensity: Firm-level Relationships," Economic Inquiry Vol.49, No.2, pp.364-378, April 2011.
- "Effects of R&D and Networking on the Export Decision of Japanese Firms," Research Policy, Vol.36, No.5, pp.758-767, June 2007.
- "Foreign Outsourcing, Exporting, and FDI: A Productivity Comparison at the Firm Level," Journal of International Economics Vol.72, No.1, pp.113 -127, May 2007.
- "Foreign Outsourcing and Firm-level Characteristics: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 255-271, June 2005.
- "Changing Economic Geography and Vertical Linkages in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.17, No.4, pp.561-581, December 2003.
- "The Impact of Import Competition on Japanese Manufacturing Employment," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 118-133, June 2003.
- "Thinking ahead about the trade impact of COVID-19," (coauthored with Richard Baldwin) In: Richard Baldwin and Beatrice Weder di Mauro eds., Economics in the Time of COVID-19, CEPR Press, Chapter 5, pp.59-71, March 2020.
- "Cross-border Outsourcing and Boundaries of Japanese Firms: A Microdata Economic Analysis," (single-authored monograph) Advances in Japanese Business and Economics Series Volume 18, Springer, pp.251, July 2018
- "Offshoring and Japanese Firms,"In: Bardhan, Ashok, Dwight Jaffee and Cynthia Kroll, eds., The Oxford Handbook of Offshoring and Global Employment, Oxford University Press, Chapter 10, p.229-251, May 2013.