Environmental economics, Resource economics, Applied micro economics
- Macro & Micro Economics of Artificial Intelligence (March 1, 2018 - February 29, 2020)
- Economics of Artificial Intelligence (January 18, 2016 - December 31, 2017)
- Energy and Industrial Structural Change after the Fukushima Nuclear Accident (July 1, 2013 - December 31, 2015)
- Economic Analysis of Environmental, Energy, and Resource Strategies Following the Great East Japan Earthquake (June 22, 2011 - June 30, 2013)
- Economic Analysis of Resource Management in the Fisheries Industry (May 23, 2008 - June 30, 2010)
2002 Ph.D., Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, University of Rhode Island, U.S.A.
1999 M.Eng., Civil Engineering, Kyushu University, Japan
2015 - present Distinguished Professor of Technology and Policy, Kyushu University
2011 - present IPCC Lead Author
2010 - 2015 Professor of Technology and Policy, Departments of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Kyushu University
2010 - 2015 Associate Professor, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Tohoku University
2010 - present Adjunct Associate Professor, Graduate School of Public Policy, the University of Tokyo
Selected Publications and Papers
- Managi, S. (Eds.) 2016. The Wealth of Nations and Regions, Routledge, New York, USA.
- Managi, S., and K. Kuriyama. 2016. Environmental Economics, Routledge, New York, USA.
- Managi, S. (Eds.) 2015. The Economics of Green Growth: New Indicators for Sustainable Societies, Routledge, New York, USA.
- Managi, S. (Eds.) (2015). The Routledge Handbook of Environmental Economics in Asia, Routledge, New York, USA.
- Managi, S. (Eds.) 2012. The Economics of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, Routledge, New York, USA.
- Shinkuma, T. and Managi, S. 2011. Waste and Recycling: Theory and Empirics, Routledge, New York, USA.
- Technology, Natural Resources and Economic Growth: Improving the Environment for a Greener Future, Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, Cheltenham, UK (2011)
- Chinese Economic Development and Environment, (with S. Kaneko), Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., Cheltenham, UK (2009)
- The Economics of Sustainable Development: The Case of India, (with S. Kumar), Springer Publishing, New York, NY (2009)
- Technological Change and Environmental Policy: A Study of Depletion in the Oil and Gas Industry, Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., Cheltenham, UK (2008)
Papers Published in Refereed Journals
- Managi, S., and M. Wakamatsu. 2017. "Pay Countries to Stop Whaling," Nature 546, 352.
- Fujii, H., S. Okamoto, S. Kagawa., and S. Managi. 2017. "Decomposition of Toxicity Emission Changes on the Demand and Supply sides: Empirical Study of the US Industrial Sector," Environmental Research Letters 12(12) 124008.
- Horie, S., and S. Managi. 2017. "Why Do People Stay in or Leave Fukushima?" Journal of Regional Science 5(7): 840–857.
- Halkos, G., and S. Managi. 2017. "Measuring the Effect of Economic Growth on Countries' Environmental Efficiency: A Conditional Directional Distance Function Approach," Environmental and Resource Economics 68 (3):753–775.
- Halkos, G., and S. Managi. 2017. "Recent Advances in Empirical Analysis on Growth and Environment: Introduction," Environment and Development Economics 22 (6): 649–657.
- Johnstone, N., S. Managi, M. Rodríguez, I. Haščič, H. Fujii, and M. Souchier. 2017. "Environmental Policy Design, Innovation and Efficiency Gains in Electricity Generation," Energy Economics 63: 106-115.
- Managi, S., Goonetilleke, A., and C. Wilson. 2016. "Embed Storm water Use in City Planning," Nature 532 (7597): 37. Kumar, S. and S. Managi. 2016. "Carbon Sensitive Productivity, Climate and Institutions," Environment and Development Economics 21 (1): 109-133.
- Dasgupta, P., A. Duraiappah, S. Managi, E. Barbier, R. Collins, B. Fraumeni, H. Gundimeda, G. Liu, and K. J. Mumford. 2015. "How to Measure Sustainable Progress," Science 13 (35): 748.
- Fujii, H. and S. Managi. 2015. "Optimal Production Resource Reallocation for CO2 Emissions Reduction in Manufacturing Sectors," Global Environmental Change 35: 505-513.
- Oikawa, K. and S. Managi. 2015. "R&D in Clean Technology: A Project Choice Model with Learning," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 117: 175-195.
- Chen, P-C., Yu, M-M., Chang, C-C., Hsu, S-H., and S. Managi. 2015. "The Enhanced Russell-Based Directional Distance Measure with Undesirable Outputs: Numerical Example Considering CO2 Emissions," Omega - The International Journal of Management Science 53: 30-40.
- Fuiji, H., S. Managi., M. Matousek. 2014. "Indian Bank Efficiency and Productivity Changes with Undesirable Outputs: A disaggregated approach," Journal of Banking and Finance 38 (1): 41-50.
- Managi, S., Hibiki, A., and Shimane, T. 2014. "Efficiency or Technology Adoption: A Case Study in Waste- Treatment Technology," Resource and Energy Economics 36 (2): 586-600.
- Akao, K., S. Managi. 2013. "A Tradable Permit System in an Intertemporal Economy," Environmental and Resource Economics 55 (3): 309-336.
- Tanaka, K., S. Managi. 2013. "Measuring Productivity Gains from Deregulation of the Japanese Urban Gas Industry," The Energy Journal 34 (4): 181-198.
- Kerstens., K., S. Managi. 2012. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and Convergence in the Petroleum Industry: Empirical Analysis Testing for Convexity," International Journal of Production Economics 139 (1): 196-206.
- Shinkuma, T. and S. Managi, S. 2011. "A License Scheme: An Optimal Waste Management Policy under Asymmetric Information" Journal of Regulatory Economics 39 (2): 143-168.
- Kumar, S., S. Managi. 2011. Non-Separability and Substitutability among Water Pollutants: Evidence from India, Environment and Development Economics 16 (6): 709-733.
- Kumar, S. and S. Managi. 2010. "Sulfur Dioxide Allowances: Trading and Technological Progress," Ecological Economics 69 (3): 623-631.
- Hibki, A. and S. Managi. 2010. "Environmental Information Provision, Market Valuation, and Firm Incentives: An Empirical Study of the Japanese PRTR System," Land Economics 86 (2): 382-393.
- Kumar, S. and S. Managi. 2009. "Energy Price-Induced and Exogenous Technological Change: Assessing the Economic and Environmental Outcomes," Resource and Energy Economics 31 (4): 33-353.
- Managi., S., Hibki, A. and T. Tsurumi 2009. "Does Trade Openness Improve Environmental Quality?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 58 (3): 346-363.
- Managi, S. and S. Kaneko, 2009. "Environmental Performance and Returns to Pollution Abatement in China," Ecological Economics68 (6): 1643-1651.
- Akao, K. and S. Managi, 2007. "The Feasibility and Optimality of Sustainable Growth under Materials Balance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 31 (11): 3778-3790.
- Managi, S., J.J. Opaluch, D. Jin, and T.A. Grigalunas, 2005 . "Environmental Regulations and Technological Change in the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry," Land Economics 81 (2): 303-319.
- Managi, S., J.J., Opaluch, D. Jin, and T.A. Grigalunas, 2004. "Technological Change and Depletion in Offshore Oil and Gas," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 47 (2): 388-409.