Labor Economics, Empirical Microeconomics
- Empirical Analysis on Japanese Labor Market (June 22, 2020 - May 31, 2022)
- Transformation of the Japanese Labor Market : Toward a labor market for all (September 29, 2015 - May 31, 2017)
- The Changing Japanese Labor Market: A perspective and desirable policy responses (May 21, 2013 - May 31, 2015)
- Economic Analysis of Human Resource Allocation Mechanisms Within the Firm: Insider econometrics using HR data (May 31, 2011 - March 31, 2013)
- Empirical Analysis of Japan's Labor Market: Policy Responses to Fertility Decline and Population Aging (April 25, 2007 - March 31, 2011)
- Empirical Analysis of Japan's Labor Market (2016)
2002 Ph.D., Economics, Michigan State University
1996 M.A., Economics, Hitotsubashi University
1994 B.A., Economics, Waseda University
2016.4 - present Professor, Graduate School of Economics, University of Tokyo / Graduate School of Public Policy
2013 - 2016 Professor, Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2005 - 2013 Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2003 - 2005 Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba
2002 - 2003 Assistant Professor, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University
Selected Publications and Papers
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Yuko Mori (2021) "Estimating the Effects of the Minimum Wage Using the Introduction of Indexation," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 184, pp. 388-408.
- Izumi Yokoyama, Kazuhito Higa and Daiji Kawaguchi (2021) "Adjustments of regular and non-regular workers to exogenous shocks: Evidence from exchange-rate fluctuation," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 74, No. 2, pp 470-510.
- Ayako Kondo and Daiji Kawaguchi (2020) "The effects of graduating from college during a recession on consumption and asset holding," Economic Inquiry, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 283-293.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Soohyung Lee (2017) "Brides for Sale: Cross-Border Marriages and Female Immigration," Economic Inquiry, Vol. 55, pp. 633-654.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Norifumi Yukutake (2017) "Estimating the Residential Land Damage of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident," Journal of Urban Economics, Vol. 99, pp. 148-160.
- Shota Araki, Daiji Kawaguchi and Yuki Onozuka (2016) "University prestige, performance evaluation, and promotion: Estimating the employer learning model using personnel datasets," Labour Economics, Vol. 41, pp. 135-148.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Yuko Mori (2016) "Why wage inequality have evolved so differently between Japan and the US? The role of supply of college educated workers," Economics of Education Review, Vol. 52, pp. 29-50.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Tetsushi Murao (2014) "Labor-market Institutions and long-term effects of youth unemployment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 46, No. S2, pp. 95-116.
- Daiji Kawaguchi, Tetsushi Murao, and Ryo Kambayashi (2014) "Incidence of Strict Quality Standards: Protection of Consumers or Windfall for Professionals?" Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 195-224.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Tetsushi Murao (2014) "Labor-market Institutions and Long-Term Effects of Youth Unemployment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 46, No. S2, pp. 95-116.
- Ryo Kambayashi, Daiji Kawaguchi and Ken Yamada (2013) "Minimum Wage and Wage Distribution in a Deflationary Economy," Labour Economics, Vol. 24, pp. 264-276.
- Daiji Kawaguchi, Jungmin Lee and Daniel Hamermesh (2013) "The Gift of Time," Labour Economics, Vol. 24, pp. 205-216.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Junko Miyazaki (2009) "Working Mothers and Sons' Preferences regarding Female Labor Supply: Direct Evidence from Stated Preferences," Journal of Population Economics, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 115-130.
- Ryo Kambayashi, Daiji Kawaguchi and Izumi Yokoyama (2008) "Wage Distribution in Japan: 1989-2003," Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 1329-1350.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Wenjie Ma (2008) "The Causal Effect of Graduating from a Top University on Promotion: Evidence from the University of Tokyo's Admission Freeze in 1969," Economics of Education Review, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 184-196.
- Daiji Kawaguchi and Fumio Ohtake (2007) "Testing the Morale Theory of Nominal Wage Rigidity," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 57-72.
- Daiji Kawaguchi (2007) "A Market Test of Sex Discrimination: Evidence from Japanese Panel Data," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 441-460.
- Daiji Kawaguchi (2004) "Peer Effect on Substance Uses among American Teenagers," Journal of Population Economics, Vol. 17, No.2, pp. 351-367.
- Daiji Kawaguchi (2003) "Human Capital Accumulation of Self-Employed and Salaried Workers," Labour Economics, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 55-71.