Labor Economics, Economics of Education
- Microeconometric Analysis of Education Policy with Large Administrative Data (July 13, 2020 - December 31, 2022)
2004.5 Ph.D., Economics, New York University, Doctoral Dissertation: Essays on Education, Growth and Income Distribution (Advisor: Professor Debraj Ray, New York University)
1998.3 M.A., Economics, University of Tokyo, Master Thesis: “Learning-by-doing and Technology Upgradings with Information Spillover” (Advisor: Professor Shin-ichi Fukuda, University of Tokyo)
1996.3 B.A., Economics, University of Tokyo
2017/04 - present: Professor, Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo
2015/04 - 2017/03: Associate Professor, Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo
2011/04 - 2015/03: Associate Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies
2006/04 - 2011/03: Associate Professor, Graduate School of Information Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
2004/10 - 2006/03: Assistant Professor, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University
2004/06 - 2004/09: 21st Century COE Researcher, Graduate School of Economics, Osaka University
Selected Publications and Papers
Papers Published in Refereed Journals
- "Evaluating Remedial Education in Elementary Schools: Administrative Data from a Municipality in Japan" (with Shun-ichiro Bessho, Akira Kawamura, Haruko Noguchi, and Koichi Ushijima), Japan and the World Economy, 50, 36-46 (2019). Also in the special issue Economics of Education in Japan edited by Shin-ichi Fukuda and Ryuichi Tanaka.
- "Do Teaching Practices Matter for Students' Academic Achievement? A Case of Linguistic Activity" (with Kazumi Ishizaki), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 50, 26-36 (2018).
- "Parental Absence, Remittances, and Educational Investment of Children Left Behind: Evidence from Nepal," (with Nirmal Kumal Raut), Review of Development Economics, 22, 4, 1642-1666 (2018).
- "Immigration, Assimilation. and the Future of Public Education" (with Lidia Farre and Francesc Ortega), European Journal of Political Economy, 52, 141-165 (2018).
- "Immigration and the Public-Private School Choice" (with Lidia Farre and Francesc Ortega), Labour Economics, 51, 184-201 (2018).
- "Changes in Japan's Labor Market during the Lost Decade and the Role of Demographics" (with Julen Esteban-Pretel and Xiangcai Meng), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 43, 19-37 (2017).
- "Estimating the Effects of Pronatal Policies on Residential Choice and Fertility" (with Ryo Nakajima), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 34, 179-200 (2014).
- "On the Role of Job Assignment in a Comparison of Education Systems" (with Katsuya Takii), Canadian Journal of Economics, 46, 1, 180-207 (2013).
- "Taxation Categories for Long-term Care Insurance Premiums and Mortality among Japanese Elderly: A Cohort Study" (with Yoshihisa Fujino, Tatsuhiko Kubo, and Shinya Matsuda), Journal of Epidemiology, 23, 1, 41-46 (2013).
- "Testing the Incentive Effects in Tournaments with a Superstar" (with Kazutoshi Ishino), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 26, 3, 393-404 (2012).
- "Are Contingent Jobs Dead Ends or Stepping Stones to Regular Jobs? Evidence from a Structural Estimation" (with Julen Esteban-Pretel and Ryo Nakajima), Labour Economics, 18, 4, 513-526 (2011).
- "TFP Growth Slowdown and the Japanese Labor Market in the 1990s" (with Julen Esteban-Pretel and Ryo Nakajima), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 24, 1, 50-68 (2010).
- "Does the Diversity of Human Capital Increase GDP?: A Comparison of Education Systems" (with Katsuya Takii), Journal of Public Economics, 93, 7-8, 998-1007 (2009).
- "Inequality and Education Decisions in Developing Countries" (with Catalina Gutierrez), Journal of Economic Inequality, 7, 1, 55-81 (2009).
- "The Gender-Asymmetric Effect of Working Mothers on Children's Education: Evidence from Japan" Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 22, 4, 586-604 (2008).
- "Timing of Trade Liberalization" Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 16, 4, 447-473 (2007).
- "Inequality as a Determinant of Child Labor" Economics Letters, 80, 93-97 (2003).