Public Administration, International Public Administration, Science, Technology and Public Policy
- Studies on Transformations of International Systems and their Impact on Japan's Mid- & Long-term Competitiveness （January 18, 2021 - December 31, 2023）
1989 Bachelor of Law, the University of Tokyo
2019 Deputy Director, Institute for Future Initiatives, The University of Tokyo (-2021. 3)
2014 - 2016 Dean, Graduate School of Public Policy, The University of Tokyo
2010 - 2014 Director, Policy Alternatives Research Institute, The University of Tokyo
2006 Professor, Graduate Schools for Law and Politics, The University of Tokyo
1994 Associate Professor, Graduate Schools for Law and Politics, The University of Tokyo
1989 Research Associate, Faculty of Law, The University of Tokyo
Selected Publications and Papers
- Hideaki Shiroyama, ed., Global health governance, Toshindo, 2020
- Kagaku Gijutsu to Seiji (Science, technology and politics), Minerva Shobo, 2018
- Derk Loorbach, Julia Wittmayer, Hideaki Shiroyama, Junichi Fujino and Satoru Mizuguchi, eds., Governance of Urban Sustainability Transitions: European and Asian Experiences (Theory and Practice of Urban Sustainability Transitions), Springer, 2016
- Kagakugijutsu to seiji (Science, Technology and Politics), Minerva Shobou, 2018
- Kokusai gyousei ron (International Administration), Yuhikaku, 2013
Papers Published in Journals
- "Risk Management in Japan," Ali Farazmand, ed., Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, pp. 1-6, (Springer, 2018).
- "Global leadership for social design: theoretical and educational perspectives," together with Roland W. Scholz, Masaru Yarime, Sustainability Science, Vol. 13, pp. 447–464 (2018)
- "Unintended Side Effects of Digital Transition: Perspectives of Japanese Experts," together with Masahiro Sugiyama, Hiroshi Deguchi, Arisa Ema, Atsuo Kishimoto, Junichiro Mori, Roland W. Scholz, Sustainability Vol. 9-12, 2193-2212 (2017)
- "Challenges in achieving the health Sustainable Development Goal: Global Governance as an issue for the mean of implementation," together with Yasushi Katsuma and Matsuo Makiko, Asia-Pacific Development Journal, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 105-125 (2016)
- "Rebuilding Global Health Governance - Recommendation for the G 7," together with Yasushi Katsuma and Matsuo Makiko, PARI Policy Brief, 2016,
- "Nuclear Safety Regulation before the Fukushima Accident and Post-accident Reform," Keiichi Tsunekawa, ed., Five Years After: Reassessing Japan's Responses to the Earthquake, Tsunami, and the Nuclear Disaster, pp. 57-79 (University of Tokyo Press, 2016)
- "Political Dimensions of Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy and the Importance of Local Contexts," Jurgen Basedow and Toshiyuki Kono, eds., Special Economic Zones: Law and Policy Perspectives, pp. 99-116 (Mohr Siebec, 2016)
- "Nuclear Safety Regulation in Japan and Impacts of the Fukushima Daiichi Accident," Joonhong Ahn, Cathryn Carson, Mikael Jensen, Kohta Juraku, Shinya Nagasaki, Satoru Tanaka, eds., Reflections on the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident: Toward Social-Scientific Literacy and Engineering Resilience, pp. 283-296(Springer, 2015)
- "Issues and Policy Measures for Phosphorus Recycling from Sewage: Lessons from Stakeholder Analysis of Japan in Special Issue on Sustainable Use of Phosphorus in Asia," together with Makiko Matsuo, Masaru Yarime, Global Environmental Research, Vol.19, No.1, pp.67-76(2015).
- "The Future of Energy Policy in East Asia: Prospects and Risks for a Sustainable Framework," together with Hiroshi Yoshikawa, Robert Orsi, Chiaki Sato, in Jinyue Yan ed., Handbook of Clean Energy Systems vol. 6: Sustainability of Energy Systems, pp. 1-20(Wiley, 2015)
- "Public policy structuring incorporating reciprocal expectation analysis," together with Hironori Kato, Yoshinori Nakagawa, European Journal of Operational Research 233, pp. 171-183, 2014.
- "Recent Development of Japan's Space Policy: The Quasi-Zenith Satellite Programme and the the Space Policy Making Process," Hulsroj, Peter; Pagkratis, Spyros; Baranes, Blandina, eds., Yearbook on Space Policy 2010/2011, pp. 207-221, Wien: Springer 2013.
- "Dynamics of International Harmonization and Divergence of Safety Standards: The Regulatory Hybridization of Automobile and Food Safety," Paulius Jurcys, Paul F. Kjaer, Ren Yatsunami, eds., Regulatory Hybridization in the Transnational Sphere, pp. 125-146, Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2013.
- "Governance for sustainability: knowledge integration and multi-actor dimensions in risk management," together with Masaru Yarime, Makiko Matsuo, Heike Schroeder, Roland Scholz & Andrea E. Ulrich, Sustainability Science, vol.7, pp. 45-55 (2012).
- "Technology Governance," in Hiroshi Komiyama, Kazuhiro Takeuchi, Hideaki Shiroyama and Takeshi Mino, eds., Sustainability Science: A Multidisciplinary Approach, pp. 145-157, United Nations University Press, 2011
- "Global Governance," together with Makiko Matsuo and Hirotaka Matsuda, in Hiroshi Komiyama, Kazuhiro Takeuchi, Hideaki Shiroyama and Takeshi Mino, eds., Sustainability Science: A Multidisciplinary Approach, pp., 220-145, United Nations University Press, 2011.
- "Limits of Past Practices and Possible Future Institutionalization in TA in Japan," pp.80-83, in TECHNIKFOLGENABSCHATZUNG – Theorie und praxis, Vol.19-2, 2010.
- "Assessment of social implications of nanotechnologies in Japan: application of problem structuring method based on interview surveys and cognitive maps" pp. 615-638, together with Yoshinori Nakagawa, Kotaro Kuroda and Tatsujiro Suzuki, in Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 77(4), (2010).
- "Sustainable Energy and Environmental Policymaking in Japan," together with Masahiro Matsuura and Tatsujiro Suzuki, IEEE Technology and Society, 29 (3), Fall 2010, pp. 45-54,
- "UN management Reform as a basis for enhancing accountability" pp.162-173, in Sumihiro Kuyama, Miachael Ross Fowler, eds., Envisioning Reform: Enhancing UN Accountability in the Twenty- First Century, United Nations University Press, 2009.
- "The Strategy of the Japanese Auto Industry in Developing Hybrid and Fuel-cell Vehicles," together with Masaru Yarime and Yusuke Kuroki, in Lynk K. Mytelka, Grant Boyle, eds., Making Choices about Hydrogen: Transport Issues for Developing Countries, pp. 187-212, (United Nations University Press, 2008).
- "Administrative Reorganization and Public Sector Reform in Japan" in The Public Sector in Transition: East Asia and the European Union Compared, (Berlin: Nomos, 2007).
- "The Harmonization of Automobile Environmental standards between Japan, the United States and Europe: The ‘Depoliticizing strategy’ by Industry and the Dynamics between Firms and Governments in a Transnational Context" Pacific Review (Routledge, 2007).
- "Environmental Cooperation in East Asia: Comparison with the European Region and the Effectiveness of Environmental Aid," pp. 252-276, in Tadayoshi Terao and Kenji Otsuka eds., Development of Environmental Policy in Japan and Asian Countries, (Palgrave Macmillan, NY, 2007).
- "Japan's Policy and Interface Arrangement with International Organizations: Financial and Other Resource Flows," pp. 103-127, in Glenn D. Hook and Harukiyo Hasegawa, eds., Japanese Responses to Globalization: Politics, Security, Economics and Business, (Palgrave Macmillan, NY, 2006).
- "Regional Governance in Asia: Comparative Analysis of Experiments of Decentralization and Deconcentration in Indonesia, Thailand and Korea" in Shimomura, ed., The Role of Governance in Asia, ISEAS, 2003, pp.6-26.
- "Technological Innovation and Diffusion for Environmental Protection – The Roles of Public Policies, Private Strategies, and Civic Actions from an Interaction Perspective," in Martha Harris, ed., Energy Market Restructuring and The Environment- Governance and Public Goods in Globally Integrated Markets, University Press of America, 2002, pp.151-181.