Empirical studies in industrial organization and business economics, especially on small business, start-ups, innovation, R&D collaboration, and innovation policy
1992.4 Dr. rer. pol. (Ph.D. in Economics), University of Bonn, Germany
1986.3 M.A. in Economics, Hitotsubashi University
1984.3 B.A. in Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2017.4 - 2019.3 Dean, Graduate School of Economics and Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2012.4 - 2014.3 University Council Member, Hitotsubashi University
2011.6 - Visiting research fellow, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP)
2011.4 Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2011.1 - 2011.5 EU Erasmus Mundus Fellow (University of Trento and Corvinus University)
1999.1 - 2011.3 Associate Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
1996.4 - 1998.3 Visiting research fellow of the University of Birmingham (UK) and Wissenschafts-zentrum Berlin (WZB) (Germany)
1993.4 - 1998.12 Lecturer, Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Multilevel policy governance and territorial adaptability: evidence from Japanese SME innovation programmes" (with J. Nishimura and F. Kitagawa), Regional Studies, 2018 (forthcoming).
- "Internal and external discipline: The effect of project leadership and government monitoring on the performance of publicly funded R&D consortia" (with J. Nishimura), Research Policy 47 (6), 2018.
- "Whose business is your project? A comparative study of different subsidy schemes for collaborative R&D" (with J. Nishimura), Technological Forecasting and Social Change 127, 2018.
- "Knowledge and rent spillovers through government-sponsored R&D consortia" (with J. Nishimura), Science and Public Policy 43 (2), 2016.
- "Not just financial support? Another role of public subsidy in university-industry research collaborations" (with J. Nishimura), Economics of Innovation and New Technology 24 (7), 2015.
- "Bridging the cultural divide: Trust formation in university-industry research collaborations in the US, Japan, and South Korea" (with M. Hemmert and L. Bstieler), Technovation 34, 2014.
- "Subsidy and networking: the effects of direct and indirect support programs in the cluster policy" (with J. Nishimura), Research Policy 40 (5), 2011.
- "R&D productivity and the organization of cluster policy: An empirical evaluation of the Industrial Cluster Project in Japan" (with J. Nishimura), Journal of Technology Transfer 36 (2), 2011.
- Vice president, Asia Council for Small Business (since 2013)
- Vice president, Japanese Committee of International Council for Small Business (since 2012)
- Japanese (native), English (fluent), German (fluent), Italian (basic)