Empirical studies in industrial organization and business economics, especially on small business, start-ups, innovation, R&D collaboration, and innovation policy
1992.4 Dr. rer. pol. (Ph.D. in Economics), University of Bonn, Germany
1986.3 M.A. in Economics, Hitotsubashi University
1984.3 B.A. in Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2021.4 Visiting research fellow, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP) (reappointment)
2021.4 Director, TDB Center for Advanced Empirical Research on Enterprise and Economy (TDB-CAREE), Graduate School of Economics and Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University (reappointment)
2020.3 Director, Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study (HIAS) Research Center for Regional and SME Policy (HIAS SME)
2018.11 Consulting Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (current)
2018.4 Director, TDB Center for Advanced Empirical Research on Enterprise and Economy (TDB-CAREE), Graduate School of Economics and Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2017.4 - 2019.3 Dean, Graduate School of Economics and Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2012.4 - 2014.3 University Council Member, Hitotsubashi University
2011.6 - Visiting research fellow, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP)
2011.4 Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2011.1 - 2011.5 EU Erasmus Mundus Fellow (University of Trento and Corvinus University)
1999.1 - 2011.3 Associate Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
1996.4 - 1998.3 Visiting research fellow of the University of Birmingham (UK) and Wissenschafts-zentrum Berlin (WZB) (Germany)
1993.4 - 1998.12 Lecturer, Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Effects of multilevel policy mix of public R&D subsidies: Empirical evidence from Japanese local SMEs" (with J. Nishimura), Science and Public Policy (forthcoming)
- "Local R&D support as a driver of network diversification? A comparative evaluation of innovation policies in neighboring prefectures in Japan" (with K. Takano), Science and Public Policy (forthcoming)
- "Multilevel policy governance and territorial adaptability: evidence from Japanese SME innovation programmes" (with J. Nishimura and F. Kitagawa), Regional Studies, 2018 (forthcoming).
- "Internal and external discipline: The effect of project leadership and government monitoring on the performance of publicly funded R&D consortia" (with J. Nishimura), Research Policy 47 (6), 2018.
- "Whose business is your project? A comparative study of different subsidy schemes for collaborative R&D" (with J. Nishimura), Technological Forecasting and Social Change 127, 2018.
- "Knowledge and rent spillovers through government-sponsored R&D consortia" (with J. Nishimura), Science and Public Policy 43 (2), 2016.
- "Not just financial support? Another role of public subsidy in university-industry research collaborations" (with J. Nishimura), Economics of Innovation and New Technology 24 (7), 2015.
- "Bridging the cultural divide: Trust formation in university-industry research collaborations in the US, Japan, and South Korea" (with M. Hemmert and L. Bstieler), Technovation 34, 2014.
- "Subsidy and networking: the effects of direct and indirect support programs in the cluster policy" (with J. Nishimura), Research Policy 40 (5), 2011.
- "R&D productivity and the organization of cluster policy: An empirical evaluation of the Industrial Cluster Project in Japan" (with J. Nishimura), Journal of Technology Transfer 36 (2), 2011.
- Journal of Small Business Management (JSBM) Associate Editor
- President, Japanese Committee of International Council for Small Business (since 2020)
- Japanese (native), English (fluent), German (fluent), Italian (basic)