Macroeconomics, Fiscal and Social Security Policy
- Individuals' Lifecycle Behavior and Macroeconomic Analysis under Demographic Aging: Effects of fiscal and social security policies (August 13, 2018 - July 31, 2020)
- Fiscal and Social Security Policy under a Low Birth Rate and Aging Demographics (June 20, 2016 - May 31, 2018)
2007 Ph.D. in Economics, New York University
2001 Master in Public Administration/International Development, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
1996 B.A. in Political Science, School of Political Science and Economics, Waseda University
2018 - present Professor, Graduate School of Economics, University of Tokyo
2015 - 2018 Professor, Faculty of Economics, Keio University
2011 - 2015 Associate Professor, Hunter College and Graduate Center, City University of New York
2009 - 2011 Senior Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
2007 - 2009 Assistant Professor, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California
1996 - 1999 Goldman Sachs, Investment Banking Division and Fixed Income Division
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Policy Uncertainty and Cost of Delaying Reform: The Case of Aging Japan," Review of Economic Dynamics, 2018, Vol. 27.
- "A Life Cycle Model of Trans-Atlantic Employment Experiences," (with Lars Ljungqvist and Thomas J. Sargent), Review of Economic Dynamics, 2017, Vol.25.
- "Achieving Fiscal Balance in Japan," (with Selahattin Imrohoroglu and Tomoaki Yamada), International Economic Review, 2016, Vol. 57: No. 1.
- "A Life-cycle Model of Unemployment and Disability Insurance," Journal of Monetary Economics, 2014, Vol. 68.
- "Social Security Reforms: Benefit Claiming, Labor Force Participation and Long-run Sustainability," (with Selahattin Imrohoroglu), American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 2012, Vol. 4: No. 3.
- "Labor-dependent Capital Income Taxation," Journal of Monetary Economics, 2010, Vol. 57: No. 8.
- "Taxing Capital? Not a Bad Idea After All!" (with Juan Carlos Conesa and Dirk Krueger), American Economic Review, 2009, Vol. 99: No. 1.
- "U.S. Tax Policy and Health Insurance Demand: Can a Regressive Policy Improve Welfare?" (with Karsten Jeske) Journal of Monetary Economics, 2009, Vol. 56: No. 2.
- "Entrepreneurship, Taxation and Capital Investment," Review of Economic Dynamics, 2008, Vol. 11: No. 1.