Economic Policy, Productivity, International Economics
- Human capital (Education·Health) investment and productivity (September 1, 2021 - February 29, 2024)
- Research on the Improvement in Resource Allocation and Productivity among the Healthcare and Education Service Industries (July 3, 2017 - June 30, 2019)
- Measurement of the Qualities of Health and Education Services, and Analysis of their Determinants (April 21, 2015 - March 31, 2017)
- Analysis on Service Industries: Productivity, Economic Welfare, and Policy Evaluation (April 15, 2013 - March 31, 2015)
1990 Master of Economics, Graduate School of Economics, Johns Hopkins University
1985 Bachelor of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2020 - Present Current position
2014 - Present Professor, the Faculty of International Social Sciences, Gakushuin University
2012 Professor, College Economics, Nihon University (-2014.3)
2009 Director, Statistics Commission Office at the Cabinet Office, Government of Japan (-2012.3)
2003 Professor, College Economics, Nihon University (-2009.3)
2000 Associate Professor, College Economics, Nihon University (-2003.3)
1996 Officer, Development Bank of Japan (-2000.3)
1993 Economist, International Energy Agency (-1996.7)
1985 Officer, Development Bank of Japan (-1993.6)
Selected Publications and Papers
- Taiji Fujisawa, Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito, and Heiwai TANG, 2018 "Global Sourcing and Domestic Production Networks," RIETI Discussion Paper Series, 18-E-004.
Papers Published in Refereed Journals
- Tomohiko Inui, Kenta Ikeuchi, Ayako Obashi, Qizhong Yang, 2021, "The impact of regulatory distance from global standards on a country's centrality in global value chains" International Economics, Volume 166, pp. 95-115.
- Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito and Daisuke Miyakawa, 2017, "Export Experience, Product Differentiation, and Firm Survival in Export Markets", Japanese Economic Review, Vol. 68, Issue 2, pp. 217-231.
- Bin Ni, Yasuyuki Todo, Tomohiko Inui, 2017, "How Effective Are Investment Promotion Agencies? Evidence from China", Japanese Economic Review, Vol. 68, Issue 2, pp.232-243.
- Andrew Griffen, Makiko Nakamuro and Tomohiko Inui, 2015, "Fertility and Maternal Labor Supply in Japan: Conflicting Policy Goals?", Journal of The Japanese and International Economies, Vol.38, pp52-72.
- Ryoji Matsuoka, Makiko Nakamuro, and Tomohiko Inui, 2015, "Emerging Inequality in Effort: A Longitudinal Investigation of Parental Involvement and Early Elementary School-aged Children's Learning Time in Japan", Social Science Research, Vol.54, pp159-176.
- Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito and Daisuke Miyakawa, 2015," Overseas Market Information and Firms' Export Decisions", Economic Inquiry, Vol.53, No.3, pp. 1671-1688.
- Kazuma Edamura, Sho Haneda, Tomohiko Inui, Xiaofei Tan, Yasuyuki Todo, 2014,"Impact of Chinese cross-border outbound M&As on firm performance: Econometric analysis using firm-level data", China Economic Review, Vol. 30, pp.169-179.
- Makiko Nakamuro, Yuka Uzuki, and Tomohiko Inui, 2013, "The Effects of Birth Weight: Does Fetal Origin Really Matter for Long-run Outcomes?" Economic Letters, Vol. 121, Issue 1, pp. 53-58.
- Richard Kneller, Danny McGowan, Tomohiko Inui and Toshiyuki Matsuura, 2012, "Closure within Multi-Plant Firms: Evidence from Japan," Review of World Economics, Volume 148, Issue 4, pp. 647-668.
- Tomohiko Inui, Atsushi Kawakami and Tsutomu Miyagawa, 2012, "Market Competition, Differences in Technology, and Productivity Improvement-An Empirical Analysis Based on Japanese Manufacturing Firm Data-," Japan and the World Economy, Volume 24, Issue 3, pp.197-206.
- Richard Kneller, Danny McGowan, Tomohiko Inui and Toshiyuki Matsuura, 2012, "Globalisation, Multinationals and Productivity in Japan's Lost Decade," Journal of the Japanese and International Economics, Volume 26, Issue 1, pp.110-128.
- Kyoji Fukao, Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito, Young Gak Kim, Tangjun Yuan, 2011, "An International Comparison of the TFP Levels and the Productivity Convergence of Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese Listed Firms," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Vol.9, No.2, pp.127-150.
- Alexander Hijzen, Tomohiko Inui and Yasuyuki Todo, 2010, "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence from Japan," Economic Inquiry, Volume 48, Issue 4, pp.880-895.