Environmental and Resource Economics, Law and Economics (in the area of Accident Law)
1981 - 1985 Faculty of Economics, Sophia University
1985 - 1990 Graduate School of Economics (Doctor Program), the University of Tokyo
2023.8 - present Visiting Professor, Asian Growth Research Institute
2023.4 - present Fellow, Research Institute for Environmental Economics and Management, Waseda University
2021.4 - present Director, Research Center for Policy Design, Tohoku University
2020.12 - 2021.3 Director, Policy Design Laboratory, (currently Research Center for Policy Design), Tohoku University
2015.4 - present Professor, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University
2014.8 - present Head, Environment-Economic Assessment Collaborative Research Group, National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES)
2012.4 Professor, Department of Economics, Sophia University
2006.4 Head, Environmental Economics and Policy Section, Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research, NIES
1999.4 Associate Professor, Graduate school of Decision Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Double Appointment, until March 2012)
1996.10 Senior Researcher, Social Environmental Systems Division, NIES
1989.4 Researcher, Social Environmental Systems Division, NIES
Selected Publications and Papers
Papers Published in Refereed Journal
- SASANUMA, Katsunobu, Akira Hibiki and Thomas Sexton (2022) "An opaque selling scheme to reduce shortage and wastage in perishable inventory systems", Operation Research Perspectives, Vol. 9, 100220
- KURATA, Masamitsu, Kazushi TAKAHASHI and Akira HIBIKI (2020) "Gender differences in associations of household and ambient air pollution with child health: Evidence from household and satellite-based data in Bangladesh," World Development, Vol.128
- MIYAWAKI, Koji, Yasuhiro OMORI and Akira HIBIKI (2018) "A Discrete/Continuous Choice Model on a Nonconvex Budget Set," Econometric Reviews, Vol.37(2), pp.89-113.
- MIYAWAKI, Koji, Yasuhiro OMORI and Akira HIBIKI (2016) "Exact Estimation of Demand Functions under Block-Rate Pricing", Econometric Reviews, Vol.35(3), pp.311-343.
- TSURUMI, Tetsuya, Shunsuke MANAGI and Akira HIBIKI (2015) "Do Environmental Regulations Increase Bilateral Trade Flows?", The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 15(4), pp.1549-1577.
- YAMANO, Hiroya., Kiyoshi SATAKE, Tomomi INOUE, Taku KADOYA, Seiji HAYASHI, Koichi KINJO, Daisuke NAKAJIMA, Hiroyuki OGUMA, Satoshi. ISHIGURO, Azusa OKAGAWA, Shinsuke SUGA, Tetsuya HORIE, Katsuhito NOHARA, Naoko FUKAYAMA, and Akira HIBIKI (2015) "An Integrated Approach to Tropical and Subtropical Island Conservation," Journal of Ecology and Environment, vol.38(2), pp.271-279.
- MANAGI, Shunsuke, Akira HIBIKI and Tetsuya SHIMANE (2014) "Productivity or Technology Adoption: A Case Study in Waste Treatment Technology," Resource and Energy Economics, vol. 36(2), pp. 586-600.
- MIYAWAKI, Koji, Yasuhiro OMORI and Akira HIBIKI (2011) "Panel Data Analysis of Japanese Residential Water Demand Using a Discrete/Continuous Choice Approach," The Japanese Economic Review, Vol. 62, No. 3, pp.365-386
- HIBIKI, Akira and Shunsuke MANAGI (2011) "Does the housing market respond to information disclosure?: Effects of toxicity indices in Japan," Journal of Environmental Management, vol.92, no.1, pp.165-171
- HIBIKI, Akira and Shunsuke MANAGI (2010) "Environmental Information Provision, Market Valuation and Firm Incentives: Empirical Study on Japanese PRTRs," Land Economics, vol.86, no.2, pp.382-393 (doi:10.3368/le.86.2.382)
- MANAGI, Shunsuke, Akira HIBIKI and Tetsuya TSURUMI (2009) "Does Trade Openness Improve Environmental Quality?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 58 (3), pp.346-363
- ARIMURA, Toshi, Akira HIBIKI and Hajime KATAYAMA (2008) "Is a Voluntary Approach an Effective Environmental Policy Instrument? A Case for Environmental Management Systems," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 55(3), pp.281-295
- WELCH, Eric and Akira HIBIKI (2003) "An Institutional Framework for Analysis of Voluntary Policy: The Case of Voluntary Pollution Prevention Agreements in Kita Kyushu, Japan," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 46(4), pp.523-543
- WELCH, Eric and Akira HIBIKI (2002) "Japanese Voluntary Environmental Agreements: Bargaining Power and Reciprocity as Contributors to Effectiveness," Policy Science, 35(4), pp.401-424