International Relations, Trade Policy, Environment and Energy Policy
2000 Ph.D., Graduate School of Decision Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology
1996 Master in Public Policy, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
1991 Bachelor of Liberal Arts, Department of Liberal Arts, College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo
2021 - Deputy Director-General for Trade Policy, Trade Policy Bureau, METI
2020 - 2021 Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Kyoto University
2018 - 2020 Associate Professor, Research Center for Advanced Policy Studies (CAPS), Institute of Economic Research, Kyoto University
2016 - 2018 Director for EPA/FTA Negotiations, METI
2013 - 2016 Head, Environment and Climate Change Unit, International Energy Agency (IEA)
2012 - 2013 Director for Climate Change, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
2010 - 2012 Director, Supervisory Research Office, Financial Services Agency
2005 - 2008 Director (Program), Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Secretariat
2000 - 2002 Ministry of Labour (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
1997 - 1999 Cabinet Secretariat
1991 Joined Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI)
Selected Publications and Papers
- Energy, Climate Change and Environment. OECD/IEA, 2014, 2016 (Co-author)
- White Paper on International Trade, 2000 (Co-author)
- White Paper on Small and Medium Enterprises, 1997 (Co-author)
- "Expanding and Restructuring Global Value Chains for Sustainable and Inclusive Growth," with Y. Todo, M. S. Akman, S. Saha, and N. Volchkova. T20 Japan 2019 Policy Brief (2019).
- "Japanese Foreign Policies on Global Climate Change: From Kyoto to Paris," in M. McCarthy, ed. Routledge Handbook of Japanese Foreign Policy. Abingdon: Routledge (2018).
- "Built to Last: Designing a Flexible and Durable 2015 Climate Change Agreement,"with G. Briner and T. Kato. OECD/IEA CCXG Paper (2014).
- "Targeting the Base of the Pyramid: How Enterprises Can Contribute to Sustainable Development," Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 12, No.3 (2011) 258-265.
- "The Rise of Japanese Climate Change Policy: Balancing the Norms Economic Growth, Energy Efficiency, International Cooperation and Environmental Protection," in M. Pettenger, ed. The Social Construction of Climate Change. Hampshire, UK: Ashgate (2007) 75-97.
- "Building the Institutional Capacity for Trade and the Environment," Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 8, No.2 (2006) 70-77.
- "Creating Green Employment: A New Link between Forestry and Employment Policies," Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 4, No.2 (2002) 99-113.
- "Renegotiations in the Post-Agreement Period: The Future of the Kyoto Protocol," Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 3, No.2 (2001) 64-80.
- "Trade Liberalization and Civil Society: The Japanese Policy Formulation Process," Interdisciplinary Environmental Review 2, No.2 (2000) 172-189.
- "Integrating Policies for Combating Climate Change: The Role of the Japanese Joint Conference for the Kyoto Protocol," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies 3, No. 4 (2000) 425-445.
- "The Road to the Kyoto Conference: An Assessment of the Japanese Two-Dimensional Negotiation," International Negotiation 4, No.2 (1999) 167-195.
- "Greening APEC: Institutional Reform for Establishing a Regional Sustainable Development Area," in L. E. Susskind, W. Moomaw, and T. L. Hill, eds., Innovations in International Environmental Negotiation. Cambridge, Mass., USA: Program on Negotiation (1997) 38-47.