- Policy Issues on the Electricity Market Reform after 2020 (October 15, 2018 - September 30, 2020)
- An International Comparative Study of Power Supply Liberalization (January 11, 2012 - September 30, 2013)
- Economic Analysis of Markets and Networks in Electricity Power Reform (Until March 31, 2009)
1973 Ph.D., Economics, The Johns Hopkins University
1968 M.A., Public Administration, International Christian University
1966 B.A., Economics, International Christian University
2013 - present President, Asia Growth Research Institute
2007 - 2011 President, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies
2004 - 2007 Professor, Division of International Studies, International Christian University
1999 - 2004 Professor, Center for Spatial Information Science, The University of Tokyo
1986 - 1999 Professor, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University
1978 - 1986 Professor, Associate Professor, and Assistant Professor, Economics Dept., The Johns Hopkins University
1974 - 1978 Associate Professor, Saitama University
1972 - 1974 Assistant Professor, Economics Dept., Ohio State University
Member of the Council of National Strategic Special Zones of the Cabinet Secretariat of the Japanese Government
Chairman of the Electricity and Gas Market Surveillance Commission of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI.)
Selected Publications and Papers
- Hatta, T. Ed. (2018). Economic Challenges Facing Japan’s Regional Areas. Palgrave Pivot, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7110-2
- Hatta, T. & Ouchi, S. Eds. (2018). Severance Payment and Labor Mobility: A Comparative Study of Taiwan and Japan. Springer Japan. Tokyo, Japan.
- Hatta, T. (2018). Revenue-Constrained Combination of an Optimal Tariff and Duty Drawback. Frontiers of Economics in China. 13 (1): 52-67. http://journal.hep.com.cn/fec/EN/10.3868/s060-007-018-0005-1
- Hatta, T. (2018). Measures to Address Japan’s Low Birth Rate. In: Hatta, T. (ed.) Economic Challenges Facing Japan’s Regional Areas. pp. 131-135. Palgrave Pivot, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7110-2
- Hatta, T. (2018). Provision of National Health Insurance “Model Benefits” to Japan’s Prefectures. In: Hatta, T. (ed.) Economic Challenges Facing Japan’s Regional Areas. pp. 115-128. Palgrave Pivot, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7110-2
- Hatta, T. (2017). Competition policy vs. industrial policy as a growth strategy. China Economic Journal, 10 (2): 162-174, https://doi.org/10.1080/17538963.2017.1321216
- Hatta, T. (2018). Introducing Severance Systems in Japan——A Proposal for Vacancy Decontrol. In: Hatta, T. & Ouchi, S. Eds. (2018). Severance Payment and Labor Mobility: A Comparative Study of Taiwan and Japan. Springer Japan. Tokyo, Japan.
- "Welfare Effects of Changing Commodity Tax Rates Toward Uniformity," Journal of Public Economics, 29 (February 1986) pp.99-112.
- "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Bilateral Transfers in a Multilateral World," American Economic Review, 73 (September1983), pp.606-618, with J. N. Bhagwati and Richard A. Brecher.
- "Competition and Nationally Optimum Resource Allocation under the Presence of Urban Traffic Congestion," Journal of Urban Economics, 14 (September 1983), pp.145-167.
- "Structure of the Correspondence Principle at an Extremum Point," Review of Economic Studies, 47 (October 1980), pp.987-997.
- "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econmetrica, 45 (November 1977), pp.1859-70.
- "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, 64 (February 1977), pp.1-21.
- "The Paradox in Capital Theory and Complementarity of Inputs," Review of Economic Studies, 63 (February 1976), pp.127-42.