Industrial Organization, Applied Microeconomics, Applied Econometrics, Innovation and Technology, Economic Development (Asian Economy)
2017 Ph.D. in Economics, University of Essex
2012 MSc in Economics, University of Essex
2004 M.A. in Economics, Kyoto University
2002 B.A. in Economics, Kyoto University
2015 Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
2014 Deputy Director, WTO Compliance and Dispute Settlement, Multilateral Trade System Department, Trade Policy Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
2011 Doctoral Research, University of Essex
2010 Deputy Director, Asia and Pacific Division, Trade and Policy Bureau, METI
2008 Economic Outlook Division, Economic and Fiscal Management Bureau, Cabinet Office
2007 Energy Strategy Office, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy
2006 Policy Evaluation and Public Relations Division, Minister's Secretariat, METI
2004 Macro Economic Affairs Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, METI
Selected Publications and Papers
- Ambashi, M. (2017), "Competition Effects and Industrial Productivity: Lessons from Japanese Industry," Asian Economic Papers, Vol.16 (3), pp. 212-249.
- Ida, T. and Ambashi, M. (2008), "Analysis of Vertical Separation of Regulators under Adverse Selection," Journal of Economics, Vol.93 (1), pp. 1-29.
- Chen, L., Nakagawa, J., Urata, S., and Ambashi, M. (eds.) (forthcoming), Emerging Global Trade Governance in the 21st Century: Mega FTAs and Implications for East Asia, London: Routledge.
- Ambashi, M. (ed.) (2018), Innovation Policy in ASEAN, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), Jakarta
- Nishimura, H., Kimura, F., Ambashi, M., and Keola, S. (2016), Lao PDR at the Crossroads: Industrial Development Strategies 2016–2030, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), Jakarta.
- Kawase, T. and Ambashi, M. (2018), "Disciplines on State-Owned Enterprise under the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement: Overview and Assessment", ERIA Discussion Papers 2017─13, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ambashi, M. and Keola, S. (2017), "Introduction: Servicification and Industrialization", in S. Keola (ed.), Industrialization through Servicification in Lao PDR, Institute of Developing Economies and Japan External Trade Organization (IDE─JETRO).
- Ambashi, M. (2017), "Innovation Policy in/for ASEAN,", in R. S. Maria, S. Urata, and P. Intal Jr. (eds.), ASEAN@50, Volume 5: The ASEAN Economic Community Into 2025 and Beyond, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), Jakarta.
- Ambashi, M. (2017), "ASEAN as an FDI Attractor: How Do Multinationals Look at ASEAN?" ERIA Policy Briefs PB-2016-04, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ambashi, M. (2017), "Innovation Policy in/for ASEAN: Introduction," mimeo.
- Kimura, F., Chen, L., Iliuteanu, M. A., Yamamoto, S., and Ambashi, M. (2016), "TPP, IPR Protection, and their Implications for Emerging Asian Economies," ERIA Policy Briefs PB-2016-02, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ambashi, M., Regibeau, P., Rockett, K. (2016), "Grantbacks, Territorial Restraints and the Type of Follow-On Innovation: The ‘But for...’ Defence," CEPR Discussion Papers 11575, Centre for Economic Policy Research.
- Ambashi, M. (2013), "Does Competition Improve Industrial Productivity?: An Analysis of Japanese Industries on the Basis of Industry-Level Panel Data," RIETI Discussion Paper Series 13-E-098.
- Ambashi, M. and Kimura, S. (2006), "Realization of the Steady Macro Economy in Japan: Fiscal and Monetary Policy Supporting Sustainable Economic Growth led by Private Demand," Macro Economic Affairs Division, Working Paper. (in Japanese)
- Ambashi, M. and Ida, T. (2004), "An Estimation of Switching Costs in Japan's Broadband Markets with the Extended Shy Model," InfoCom Review, Vol. 35. (in Japanese)