The wave of digital transformation is sweeping over the emerging economies of the East Asia region, transforming industries and societies in the member states of ASEAN at an even faster pace than in developed countries. At the same time, the US-China confrontation is fragmenting the global economy. What is going to happen next? How do we cope with these changes?
In this seminar, global supply chain experts from Southeast Asia and Europe will give us a bird's eye view of what is happening in East Asia's digital transformation and how this may impact global trade. Dr. Lurong CHEN, an expert on the regional economy from Jakarta, will provide a perspective from ASEAN, and Dr. Satoshi INOMATA from Paris will discuss the shape of global value chains under Industry 4.0.
- Time and Date: 12:15-13:25, Thursday, July 1, 2021 (Registration opens at 12:00) *Please note the ending time.
- Venue: Online (YouTube)
- Language: English
- Admission: Free
- Hosts: Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) / Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
- Contact: Ms. YAMAKAWA, Conference Section, RIETI
E-mail *If the "Send by mailer" button does not work, please copy the address into your email "send to" field and connect the prefix and the suffix of the address with an "@", sending it normally.
- Introduction: WATANABE Tetsuya (Vice President, RIETI)
- Speaker: Lurong CHEN (Senior Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA))
Dr. Lurong CHEN is a senior economist at ERIA. He obtained his PhD in International Economics from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland. His main research areas are globalization, FTAs, GVCs, economic digitalization, regional integration and trade in services. He advises international organizations on trade and development issues.
- Speaker: INOMATA Satoshi (Senior Overseas Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO))
BA with Honours in Politics and Economics, University of London, UK, June 1990.
MSc in Development Economics, University of Oxford, UK, July 1991.
PhD in Economics, Hitotsubashi University, Japan, March 2014.
1991- Institute of Developing Economies.
2000-02 Visiting Research Fellow, University of London.
2020- Visiting Researcher, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Paris
The President of the International Input-Output Association (2019-),
A member of the Editorial Board of Economic Systems Research (2012-),
Global Value Chains, Nihonkeizai-shimbun Publishing, 2019 (in Japanese)
- The Asia-Pacific Prize (Ajia-Taiheiyo-sho, awarded by Mainichi Newspaper)
- The Ohira Masayoshi Memorial Prize (awarded by Ohira Masayoshi Memorial Foundation)
- Moderator: OTA Yasu (Columnist, NIKKEI)