The EU and Japan share an ambitious goal of 2050 carbon neutrality. In order to achieve this goal, industry needs innovation and business model transformation, and policy makers need policy and institutional leads to promote and support industry transformation. Through the following two sessions, this webinar will identify common issues of industry and policy makers in both the EU and Japan, and explore the possibility of cooperation between both region and country.
The first session of this webinar will cover hydrogen and automotive batteries, which are important industries for decarbonization. Needless to say, hydrogen is an important alternative to fossil fuels, and in-vehicle batteries are indispensable for EV conversion. The presenters will discuss where the challenges of these industries are in technology, cost, supply chain, etc., and whether there is a solution in the cooperation between the EU and Japan.
The second session will cover policies / regulations that promote decarbonization, especially carbon pricing and Carbon Border Adjustment Measures (CBAM). The EU is considering the introduction of CBAM to avoid carbon leakage, while Japan is considering the introduction of carbon pricing. In this session, what the implications of these policies / regulations on industry and trade are, and what the best way to maximize positive effects and minimize negative impacts is will be discussed including a message to the world by the both EU and Japanese presenters.
- Time and Date: 4:00pm-6:00pm (Tokyo) / 9:00am-11:00am (Brussels), June 24, 2021
- Language: English / Japanese (with simultaneous interpretation)
- Admission: Free
- Hosts: Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) / EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation
- Contact: Mr. Ko Sasaki (Manager, Policy Analysis & Seminars, EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration: This webinar will be held by ZOOM and the registration for participation is done in the ZOOM link below.
- Remarks: When having any questions during the webinar, it’s possible to enter them in the Q & A field from your PC etc., but please note that due to time constraints, some of them can’t be accepted. Questions in advance are also acceptable and please fill in the question / comment column when registering for ZOOM participation.
4:00pm - 5:00pm (9:00am - 10:00am) First Session: Industry Challenge
UETAKE Nobuko (Deputy Senior General Manager, Green Solution Project Asahi Kasei Corporation)
Erwin PENFORNIS (Air Liquide Group Vice-President H2E World Business Line Vice-President of Strategy, H2-Force)
MATSUMOTO Shoichi (CEO, Envision AESC)
Diego PAVIA (CEO, InnoEnergy (European Battery Alliance))
TANABE Yasuo (Managing Director of Japan Side, EU-Japan Center for Industrial Cooperation)
5:00pm - 6:00pm (10:00am - 11:00am) Second Session: Policy and Institutional Challenges
Presentation: CBAM and Carbon Pricing
Andrei MARCU (Executive Director, European Roundtable on Climate Change and Sustainable Transition)
Alexandre AFFRE (Deputy Director General, Business Europe)
ARIMURA Toshi (Faculty Fellow, RIETI / Professor, School of Political Science and Economics & Director, Research Institute for Environmental Economics and Management Waseda University)
TEZUKA Hiroyuki (Fellow (Climate Change), JFE Steel Corporation)
WATANABE Tetsuya (Vice President, RIETI)
*Agenda is subject to change