This seminar will discuss the fundamental changes that are occurring in our understanding of the purpose of business and its influence on corporate law, the fiduciary responsibilities of directors, and the conduct and performance of business around the world. It will consider the implications of these developments for business policy and practice in Japan.
Please note that this seminar will start at 5:00 pm (JST).
This webinar is held as the first round of a series of 5 webinars.
- Time and Date: 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm (JST), Tuesday, March 16, 2021 (Registration opens at 4:45 pm)
- Venue: Online (YouTube)
- Language: Japanese / English (with simultaneous interpretation)
- Admission: Free
- Hosts: Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI), European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI), Waseda University Institute for Business and Finance (WBF)
- Contact: Ms. YUHARA, Conference Section, RIETI
E-mail *If the "Send by mailer" button does not work, please copy the address into your email "send to" field and connect the prefix and the suffix of the address with an "@", sending it normally.
- Speaker: Colin MAYER (Peter Moores Dean, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford)
Colin Mayer is the Peter Moores Professor of Management Studies at the Saïd Business School at the University of Oxford. He is a Fellow of the British Academy, the Centre for Economic Policy Research and the European Corporate Governance Institute, a Professorial Fellow of Wadham College, Oxford and an Honorary Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford and St Anne's College, Oxford. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Oxford Playhouse, and he was a member of the UK Government Natural Capital Committee, the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal and the International Advisory Board of the Securities and Exchange Board of India. He was chairman of Oxera Ltd. between 1986 and 2010 and a director of the energy modelling company, Aurora Energy Research Ltd between 2013 and 2020. He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours. He leads the British Academy enquiry into "the Future of the Corporation" and his most recent book Prosperity: Better Business Makes the Greater Good is published by Oxford University Press.
- Commentator: TANAKA Wataru (Professor, Department of Comparative Contemporary Law, Institute of Social Science, the University of Tokyo)
- Commentator: Sophie L'HELIAS (Founder & President, LeaderXXchange)
- Moderator: MIYAJIMA Hideaki (Faculty Fellow, RIETI / Professor of Japanese Economy, Graduate School of Commerce, Waseda University / Executive Vice President, Waseda University / Adviser, Waseda Institute for Advanced Study)