- Date and time: Monday, March 17, 2014, from 10:30 to 17:45
- Venue: National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP) Main Conference Room (16B)
(Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), 16th Floor, Central Government Building No.7 East Wing, 3-2-2, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0013)
- Languages: Japanese and English (English is available for Keynote speech)
- Admission: Free
- Host: Hitotsubashi University (Institute of Innovation Research), the National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP), and the Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
Please register by providing your Name, Affiliation, and Title and sending this to the email address below by Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at 17:00.
If you wish to participate only in the morning session or afternoon session, please indicate this when you contact us.
Registrations and inquiries: email@example.com
For the details: http://hitotsubashiiir-en.blogspot.jp/2014/02/international-workshop-on-science.html
This research workshop focuses on the process of science based innovation as well as policies for promoting the synergy between the two. Professor Adam Jaffe, a leading scholar on innovation economics and also the head of the Motu Economic and Public Policy Research, will be the keynote speaker. Dr. Jaffe will deliver his keynote speech on "Capitalizing Science for Innovations: Policy issues and research agenda' (provisional) in the morning session. In the afternoon, there will be two sessions presenting the outcomes of three ongoing collaborative research projects on innovation process at Hitotsubashi University, NISTEP, and RIETI: (1) "Science Sources of Industrial Innovations' (evidence from corporate inventions and drugs launched in Japan) and (2) "Bridging Science to Innovations' (evidence from science projects, and university and industry co-inventions). The presentations will be followed by discussions with academic scholars and policy makers on identifying the potential policy lessons and the remaining research agenda.
10:30 Opening Remarks
NAKAJIMA Atsushi (Chairman, RIETI)
10:35 Keynote Speech "Capitalizing science for innovations: policy issues and research agenda"
Chair: HARAYAMA Yuko (Council for Science and Technology Policy)
Speaker: Adam JAFFE (Head, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research / Professor, Brandeis University / Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER))
Comments: AOKI Reiko (Faculty Fellow, RIETI / Professor, Hitotsubashi University)
13:30 Session 1: Science Sources of Industrial Innovations
Chair: SUZUKI Jun (National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies)
(1) "Science sources of corporate inventions in Japan: Evidence from inventor survey"
YAMAUCHI Isamu (Fellow, RIETI)
(2) "Science intensity of drugs launched in Japan and their performance"
NISHIMURA Junichi (Associate Professor, Gakushuin University)
15:00 Coffee break
15:30 Session 2: Bridging Science to Innovations
Chair: Adam JAFFE (Head, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research / Professor, Brandeis University / Research Associate, NBER)
(1) "Sources and impacts of the research at Pasture quadrant"
IGAMI Masatura (NISTEP)
(2) "Making university and industry collaboration: sources of seeds, needs and their matching"
NAGAOKA Sadao (Program Director and Faculty Fellow, RIETI / Professor, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University / NISTEP)
(3) "Funding and commercialization mechanism of joint research"
AKAIKE Shinichi (Professor, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University)
HOSONO Mitsuaki (NISTEP)
17:45 Closing Remarks
SAKAKIBARA Yuji (Director General, NISTEP)
*Agenda is subject to change