RIETI will hold a special seminar, "Global Economic Crisis and China - Structural change and future of RMB" on October 8, 2009, in honor of prominent Chinese economist, Dr. YU Yongding's visit to Japan. Dr. YU is Professor of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences and President of the China Society of World Economics.
As the central speaker, Dr. YU will discuss China's policy response to the current global economic crisis and the structural adjustments China is making in the context of further internationalization of the Chinese economy and the RMB, including the complexities of the challenges China now faces.
In addition, we look forward to enhancing our understanding of the issues as experts from China and Japan exchange opinions.
- Time and Date: 12:15-13:45 (Registration desk and seminar room open at 11:45),Thursday, October 8th, 2009
- Venue: RIETI's seminar room (METI Annex 11th floor, 1121)
* In the event that registrations exceed the seating capacity of the seminar room, we may ask some participants to view the seminar from another room via a live video feed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- English / Japanese (with simultaneous interpretation)
- Admission fee: Free(audience members are permitted to bring food/beverages into the seminar and have lunch while listening)
- Contact: MATSUKURA Taeko
Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
*This seminar is OFF the Record.
- Speaker: YU Yongding (Professor, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences / President, China Society of World Economics)
- Commentator: KWAN Chi Hung (Consulting Fellow, RIETI / Senior Fellow, Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research)
- Commentator: GOTO Yasuo (Senior Fellow, RIETI / Chief Economist, Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc.)
- Moderator: AKIBA Hideto (Director, Northeast Asia Division, Trade Policy Bureau, METI)
Dr. YU Yongding's profile
Dr. YU Yongding is an Academician with Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), former Director-General of Institute of World Economics and Politics (IWEP) (1998-2009), Professor with Post-Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, President of the China Society of World Economics (2001- ). He was formerly the academic member of the Monetary Policy Committee of the People's Bank of China (PBOC) and member of National Advisory Committee of the 11th Five Years Plan of National Reform and Development Commission (NDRC).
Dr. YU graduated from Beijing School of Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Science in 1969 and joined Institute of World Economics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in 1979. He received his MA in economics from Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in 1986, and D.Phil. in economics from the University of Oxford in 1994.
Dr. YU authored, co-authored and edited more than 10 books, and published numerous papers and articles on macroeconomics, international finance and other subjects in various academic journals and mediums.