Economic Policy, Industrial Structure, Productivity, Labor Market
2007 Ph.D., Economics, Kyoto University
1982 B.A., Interdisciplinary Social Science, University of Tokyo
2017 Vice President, RIETI
2011 Vice Chairman & Vice President, RIETI
2009 Vice President, RIETI
2008 Deputy Director-General, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) / Consulting Fellow, RIETI
2007 Senior Researcher, JPC-SED / Senior Fellow, RIETI
2005 Director, Industrial Structure Policy Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, METI
2003 Director, Macroeconomic Affairs Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, METI
2002 Director, Policy Planning Office, Minister's Secretariat, METI
1999 Counsellor (Economic), Embassy of Japan in Australia
1998 Director, Research Office, Small and Medium Enterprise Agency, MITI
1997 Associate Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, and Associate Professor, University of Tokyo
1995 Associate Professor, Graduate School of Policy Studies, Saitama University, and Special Research Fellow, Research Institute of MITI
1994 Senior Research Fellow, Research Institute of MITI
1982 Joined MITI
Selected Publications and Papers
- "What Types of Policy Uncertainties Matter for Business?" Pacific Economic Review, forthcoming, 2016.
- "Firms' Expectations about the Impact of AI and Robotics: Evidence from a Survey," Economic Inquiry, forthcoming, 2016.
- "Factoryless Goods Producers in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Vol. 40, December, pp. 9-15, 2016.
- "How Uncertain Are Economic Policies? New Evidence from a Firm Survey," Economic Analysis and Policy, Vol. 52, December, pp. 114-122, 2016.
- "Business Uncertainty and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Companies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol.49, September, pp. 224-236, 2016.
- "Location and Productivity of Knowledge- and Information-Intensive Business Services," RIETI Discussion Paper, 16-E-067, 2016.
- "Foreign Tourists and Capacity Utilization in the Accommodation Industry," RIETI Discussion Paper, 16-E-064, 2016.
- "Uncertainty over Exchange Rates and Exports: Evidence from dispersion of expectations as a measure of uncertainty," RIETI Discussion Paper, 16-E-010, 2016.
- "What Types of Companies Have Female Directors? Evidence from Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Vols. 37-38, March-May, pp. 1-7, 2016.
- "A Comparison of the Wage Structure between the Public and Private Sectors in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol. 39, March, pp. 73-90, 2016.
- "Service Trade and Productivity: Firm-level evidence from Japan," RIETI Discussion Paper, 15-E-030, 2015.
- "Are Large Headquarters Unproductive?" Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Vol. 119, November, pp. 422-436, 2015.
- "Postgraduate Education and Labor Market Outcomes: An Empirical Analysis Using Micro Data from Japan," Industrial Relations, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 499-520, 2015.
- "Financial Constraints on Intangible Investments: Evidence from Japanese firms," in Ahmed Bounfour and Tsutomu Miyagawa eds. Intangibles, Market Failure and Innovation Performance, Springer, Ch. 6, pp. 139-155, 2015.
- "Innovation in the Service Sector and the Role of Patents and Trade Secrets," RIETI Discussion Paper, 14-E-030, 2014.
- "Business Restructuring of Japanese Firms: Structural changes during the 'Lost Decades,'" RIETI Discussion Paper, 13-E-083, 2013.
- "Productivity and Survival of Family Firms in Japan," Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 70, November-December, pp. 111-125, 2013.
- "Population Density and Efficiency in Energy Consumption: An Empirical Analysis of Service Establishments," Energy Economics, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 1617-1622, 2012.
- "Demand Fluctuations and Productivity of Service Industries," Economics Letters, Vol. 117, No. 1, pp. 256-258, 2012.
- "Stock Options and Productivity: An empirical analysis of Japanese firms," RIETI Discussion Paper, 12-E-011, 2012.
- "Urban Density, Human Capital, and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis Using Wage Data," RIETI Discussion Paper, 11-E-060, 2011.
- "Economies of Density and Productivity in Service Industries: An Analysis of Personal Service Industries Based on Establishment-Level Data," Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 93, No. 1, pp. 179-192, 2011.
- "Labor Unions and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis Using Japanese Firm-Level Data," Labour Economics, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 1030-1037, 2010.
- "Insecurity of Employment and Work-Life Balance: From the Viewpoint of Compensating Wage Differentials," RIETI Discussion Paper, 10-E-052, 2010.
- "Economies of Scale and Hospital Productivity: An Empirical Analysis of Medical Area Level Panel Data," RIETI Discussion Paper, 10-E-050, 2010.
- "Volatility, Nonstandard Employment, and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis Using Firm-Level Data," RIETI Discussion Paper, 10-E-025, 2010.
- "Working Hours of Part-timers and the Measurement of Firm-level Productivity," RIETI Discussion Paper, 10-E-015, 2010.
- "Information Technology and the Performance of Japanese SMEs," Small Business Economics, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 171-177, 2004.
- "Employment Adjustment, Wage Cut and Shutdown: An Empirical Analysis Based on the Micro- Data of Manufacturing Industry," MITI/RI Discussion Paper, #99-DF-34, 2000. (jointly worked)
- Small Business in Japan 1999, Ministry of International Trade and Industry, 1999. (editor)
- "Wage Differentials between Industries in Asian Countries," in Tachibanaki, Toshiaki ed. Wage Differentials: An International Comparison, Macmillan, Ch. 10, 1998. (jointly worked)
- "Economic Development in Asian Countries, and the Effect of Trade in Asia on Employment and Wages in Japan," Asian Economic Journal, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 123-151, 1998. (jointly worked)
- "Policies for Industrial Development and Structural Reform: Lessons from Japanese Industrialization and Rapid Economic Growth," MITI/RI Discussion Paper Series, #97-DOF-25, 1997.
Japanese Economic Association, American Economic Association