The Japanese Economy, Economic History of Japan, Corporate Finance, Corporate Governance Comparative Financial Systems.
- Frontiers of Analysis on Corporate Governance: Risk-taking and Corporate Governance (April 1, 2015 - September 30, 2016)
- Frontiers of Analysis on Corporate Governance: Growth, value creation and corporate governance (April 1, 2013 - March 31, 2015)
- The Frontier of Corporate Governance Analysis: Toward the recovery of Japanese companies' competitiveness (corporate governance, strategic choice and performance) (April 1, 2011 - March 31, 2013)
- The Frontier of Corporate Governance Analysis: Evolution of the Corporate System in Japan and the Impact of the World Financial Crisis (April 14, 2009 - March 31, 2011)
- The Frontier of Corporate Governance Analysis: Economic Analysis of M&A and Corporate Governance (November 2, 2007 - April 30, 2009)
- The Frontier of Corporate Governance Analysis: Economic Analysis of M&A and Corporate Governance (2006)
2005 Ph.D., Commerce, Waseda University
(Economics, the University of Tokyo, Ph.D. course work is finished 1985.)
1980 M.A., Economics, Rikkyo University
1978 B.A., Economics, Rikkyo University
2010- Affiliated Reserchers, Fondation France-Japon de l'EHESS
2010- Director, Waseda Insitute for Advanced Study
2004- Vice-Director, Waseda Institute of Finance（2004-2008）
2003- Vice Director, Waseda Institute for Corporation Law and Society
2002- Faculty Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry
2001- Special Research Fellows Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japanese Government
2001- Adjunct Professor, Chung-Ang University
1995- Professor, Graduate School of Commerce, Waseda University
2006-2010 Associate-director, Waseda Insitute for Advanced Study
1999-2000 Lecturer, Business Administration, Hosei University
1992-94 Visiting Scholar, Reischauer Institute for Japanese Studies, Harvard University
1989-94 Associate Professor, Graduate School of Commerce, Waseda University
1987-89 Full-time Lecturer, Graduate School of Commerce, Waseda University
1985-87 Assistant, Institute of Social Science, The University of Tokyo
Selected Publications and Papers
Corporate Governance in Japan: Institutional Change and Organizational Diversity(with Masahiko Aoki, Gregory Jackson), Oxford University Press, Forthcoming.
Gendai Nihon Keizai, Yuhikaku (with Toshiro Hashimoto, Makoto Hasegawa), 2006.
Nihon Keizai Hatten no Micro Bunseki : Sangyo Seisaku to Kigyo Tochi no Keizaishi, Yuhikaku, 2004.
Changes and Continuity in Japan, Routledge Curzon Press (with Syed Maswood and David Graham), 2002.
Competition for Competitiveness; Business Government Relationships in the Golden Age , Oxford University Press, (with T.Kikkawa and T. Hikino), 1999.
Articles and Chapters
"Japan's Banking Crisis: Who has the Most to Lose?," Journal of Banking and Finance, forthcoming (with Yishay Yafeh).
"Relational Banking in post Bubble Japan: Co-existence of soft-and hard budget constraint," in Masahiko Aoki et al. eds., Corporate Governance in Japan: Institutional Change and Organizational Diversity," Oxford University Press, forthcoming (with Yasuhiro Arikawa).
"Overview of the Japan's Development and Growth Process: Knowledge Economy Perspective, Transition to the Knowledge-Based Economy and Its Success Elements," The World Bank.
"Relationship Banking and Debt Choice: Evidence from Japan," Corporate Governance: An International Review, vol.13-3, May 2005 (with Yasuhiro Arikawa).
"Change and Overhaul in the J-type firm: Stepping back bank-centred governance and increasing role of internal governance," in Syed Maswood and Hideaki Miyajima eds., Changes and Continuity in Japan, Curzon Press, 2002.
"Changing Corporate Finance and its Impact on Corporate Strategy After Bubble Period: Is Long-term Strategy of Japanese Firm Really Changing?," (with Yasuhiro Arikawa), in Usha C.V. Haley and Frank Jurgen Richter eds., Asian Post Crisis Management: Corporate and Government Strategies for Sustainable Competitive Advantage, Macmillan/St. Martin Press 2001.
"Corporate Governance, Relational Banking and R&D: Evidence from Japanese Large Firms in the 1980s and 1990s," (with Arikawa, Yasuhiro and Kato, Atsushi), International Journal of Technology Management 23, No.8.