Empirical International Trade
Empirical Analysis of Global Activities and Transaction Networks of Japanese Firms
Empirical Analysis of Trade Policy Preferences at the Individual Level in Japan (May 2013)
Empirical Analysis of Trade Policy Preferences at the Individual Level in Japan (May 2011)
Policy Research Domains (2006-2010)
Study on Offshore Outsourcing by Japanese Firms
Research on Changes in Multinational Corporations, Trade Structures, and Market Institutions
1992 Ph.D., Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
1984 B.A., Economics, The University of Tokyo
2015 - Professor, Faculty of Economics, Hitotsubashi University
2012 - 2014 Dean, College of Economics, Yokohama National University
2005 - 2015 Professor, Department of Economics, Yokohama National University
2003 - 2005 Professor, Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration, Kobe University
2000 - 2003 Associate Professor, Research Institute for Economics and Business Administration, Kobe University
1999 - 2000 Director for Planning and Research, Minister's Secretariat, Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI), Government of Japan
1998 - 1999 Senior Deputy Director, Policy Planning Office, Minister's Secretariat, MITI
1995 - 1998 Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, Shinshu University
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Individual Characteristics, Behavioral Biases, and Trade Policy Preferences: Evidence from a Survey in Japan," Review of International Economics, forthcoming.
- "Task Content of Trade: A Disaggregated Measurement of Japanese Changes," Japanese Economic Review Vol.65, No.2, pp.238-251, 2014.
- "Skew Productivity Distributions and Agglomeration: Evidence from Plant-level Data," Regional Studies Vol.48, No.9, pp.1514-1528, 2014.
- "Offshore Outsourcing and Nonproduction Workers: Firm-level Relationships Disaggregated by Skills and Suppliers," The World Economy Vol. 36, No.2, 180-193, February 2013.
- "Industrial Relocation Policy, Productivity, and Heterogeneous Plants: Evidence from Japan," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Vol.42, pp. 230-239, January 2012.
- "Offshore Outsourcing and Productivity: Evidence from Japanese Firm-level Data Disaggregated by Tasks," Review of International Economics, Vol.19, pp.555-567, August 2011.
- "Offshore Outsourcing Decision and Capital Intensity: Firm-level Relationships," Economic Inquiry Vol.49, No.2, pp.364-378, April 2011.
- "Effects of R&D and Networking on the Export Decision of Japanese Firms," Research Policy, Vol.36, No.5, pp.758-767, June 2007.
- "Foreign Outsourcing, Exporting, and FDI: A Productivity Comparison at the Firm Level," Journal of International Economics Vol.72, No.1, pp.113 -127, May 2007.
- "Foreign Outsourcing and Firm-level Characteristics: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 255-271, June 2005.
- "Changing Economic Geography and Vertical Linkages in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.17, No.4, pp.561-581, December 2003.
- "The Impact of Import Competition on Japanese Manufacturing Employment," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 118-133, June 2003.
- "Offshoring and Japanese Firms,"In: Bardhan, Ashok, Dwight Jaffee and Cynthia Kroll, eds., The Oxford Handbook of Offshoring and Global Employment, Oxford University Press, Chapter 10, p.229-251, May 2013.