Spatial Economics, Urban and Regional Economics
- An Empirical Framework for Studying Spatial Patterns and Causal Relationships of Economic Agglomeration (June 27, 2016 - May 31, 2018)
- Formation of Economic Regions and its Mechanism: Theory and evidence (April 8, 2014 - March 31, 2016)
- Formation of Economic Agglomerations and the Emergence of Order in their Spatial Patterns: Theory, evidence, and policy implications (September 13, 2011 - August 31, 2013)
1996 Ph.D., Regional Science, University of Pennsylvania
1990 B.S., Civil Engineering, Gifu University
2012 - present Visiting Professor, Center for Spatial Information Science, The University of Tokyo
2009 - present Professor, Kyoto Institute of Economic Research (KIER), Kyoto University
1999 Visiting Fellow, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE), Université catholique de Louvain
1996 Associate Professor, KIER, Kyoto University
Selected Publications and Papers
- "On the spatial scale of industrial agglomerations," Journal of Urban Economics 89: 1-20 (2015) (with T. E. Smith)
- "A probabilistic modeling approach to the detection of industrial agglomerations," Journal of Economic Geography 14(3): 547-588 (2014) (with T. E. Smith)
- "Increasing returns in transportation and the formation of hubs," Journal of Economic Geography 12(4): 877-897 (2012)
- "An industrial agglomeration approach to central place and city size regularities," Journal of Regional Science 51(4), 694-731 (2011) (with T.E. Smith).
- "The Number-Average Size Rule: a new empirical relationship between industrial location and city size," Journal of Regional Science 48, 165-211 (2008) (with K. Nishikimi and T.E. Smith).
- "Monocentric versus polycentric models in urban economics," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, 2nd ed., Steven N. Durlauf and Lawrence E. Blume (eds.), Palgrave Macmillan, 754-217 (2008).
- "A divergence statistic for industrial localization," Review of Economics and Statistics 87(4), 635-651 (2005) (with K.Nishikimi and T.E.Smith).
- "Skills, agglomeration, and segmentation," European Economic Review 49, 201-225 (2005) (with A.Turrini).
- "Spatial distribution of economic activities in Japan and China," in J.V.Henderson and J.-F. Thisse (eds.), Handbook of Urban and Regional Economics Vol.4, North-Holland (2004) (with M.Fujita, J.V.Henderson, Y.Kanemoto).
- "Economies of transport density and industrial agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics 32, 167-200 (2002) (with K.Nishikimi).
- "On the evolution of hierarchical urban systems," European Economic Review 43, 209-251 (1999) (with M.Fujita and P.Krugman).
- Structural stability and the evolution of urban systems, Regional Science and Urban Economics 27, 399-442 (1997) (with M.Fujita).
- "A modeling of megalopolis formation: the maturing of city systems," Journal of Urban Economics 42, 133-157 (1997).
- "The role of ports in the making of major cities: self-organization and hub-effect," Journal of Development Economics 49, 93-120 (1996) (with M.Fujita).