International Economic Law, International Political Economy, Regional economic integration of ASEAN and East Asia
2008 M.A. in International Relations, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University
2007 LL.M., Harvard Law School
2002 Bachelor of Law, the University of Tokyo
2016 Principal Deputy Director, Policy Planning Division, Energy Conservation and Renewable Energy Department, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
2015 Principal Deputy Director, Energy Supply and Demand Policy Office, ANRE, METI
2015 Principal Deputy Director, Energy Strategy Office, ANRE, METI
2011 Senior Policy Coordinator, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia
2009 Principal Deputy Director, APEC Office, Trade Policy Bureau, METI
2008 Deputy Director, International Economic Affairs Division, Trade Policy Bureau, METI
(2006 Long-term Overseas Fellow, National Personnel Authority)
2006 Assistant to Minister (Assistant Director), METI
2004 Principal Assistant Director, Policy Coordination Division, Japan Patent Office, METI
2002 Industrialized Finance Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, METI
Selected Publications and Papers
- "Assessing the Progressive Services Liberalization in the ASEAN-China Free Trade Area (ACFTA)," International Journal of China Studies Vol7:1, pp. 1-22. (with Hikari Ishido)
- "Enforcing Competition Law Against SMEs: Presumptions and Problems," Michael T. Schaper and Cassey Lee, eds., Competition Law, Regulation & SMEs in the Asia-Pacific, Singapore: ISEAS Publishing, 2016, pp.123-142. (with Vince See Eng Teong)
- "How Do Exports and Imports Affect the Use of Free Trade Agreements? Firm-level Survey Evidence from Southeast Asia," (with Lili Yan Ing and Shujiro Urata), in Lili Yan Ing and Shujiro Urata (eds.), The Use of FTAs in ASEAN: Survey-based Analysis. ERIA Research Project Report 2013-5, Jakarta: ERIA, 2015, pp.1-24.
- "Utilisation of Free Trade Agreements by Services Industries in ASEAN," (with Ikumo Isono), in Lili Yan Ing and Shujiro Urata (eds.), The Use of FTAs in ASEAN: Survey-based Analysis. ERIA Research Project Report 2013-5, Jakarta: ERIA, 2015, pp.25-34.
- "Enhancing the Utilisation of Free Trade Agreements in Brunei Darussalam," (with Ikumo Isono and Lili Yan Ing), in Ing, L.Y. and S. Urata (eds.), The Use of FTAs in ASEAN: Survey-based Analysis. ERIA Research Project Report 2013-5, Jakarta: ERIA, 2015, pp.35-54.
- "Pursuing a Consolidated Tariff Structure in the RCEP: Sensitivity and Inconsistency in ASEAN's Trade Protection" (with Arata Kuno and Fukunari Kimura) in Christopher Findlay, ed., ASEAN and Regional Free Trade Agreements, London: Routledge, 2015, pp. 149-170.
- "Assessing the Progress of ASEAN MRAs on Professional Services," ERIA Discussion Paper 2015-21, ERIA, March 2015.
- "Values and Limitations of the ASEAN Agreement on the Movement of Natural Persons," ERIA Discussion Paper 2015-20, ERIA, March 2015 (with Hikari Ishido).
- "ASEAN's Leadership in the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership," Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies Vol. 2 (1), pp.103-115 (January 2015).
- "ASEAN Regional Cooperation on Competition Policy", Journal of Asian Economics Vol. 35, pp. 77-91 (December 2014) (with Cassey Lee).
- ASEAN Rising: ASEAN and AEC Beyond 2015, Jakarta: ERIA. (with Ponciano Intal, Jr., Fukunari Kimura, Han Phoumin, Dionisius Narjoko, Philippa Dee, and Sothea Oum)
- "ASEAN Economic Community 2015 & Beyond", Japan Spotlight July/August 2014, Japan Economic Foundation.
- The Road to Bali: ERIA Perspectives on the WTO Ministerial and Asian Integration, ERIA Research Project Report 2012-31, Jakarta: ERIA, November 2013. (co-edited with John Riady and Pierre Sauvé)
- "Competition Policy Challenges of Single Market and Production Base," ERIA Discussion Paper No. 2013-17, ERIA, September 2013. (with Cassey Lee)
- "A CGE Study of Economic Impact of Accession of Hong Kong to ASEAN-China Free Trade Agreement," ERIA Discussion Paper No. 2013-06, ERIA, May 2013. (with Ken Itakura and Ikumo Isono)
- "Taking ASEAN+1 FTAs towards the RCEP: A Mapping Study," ERIA Discussion Paper No. 2013-02, ERIA, January 2012. (with Ikumo Isono)
- Mid-Term Review of the Implementation of AEC Blueprint: Executive Summary, ERIA, October 2012. (with Ponciano Intal and Dionisius Narjoko)
- "Liberalization of Trade in Services: Toward a Harmonized ASEAN++ FTA," ERIA Policy Brief No.2012-02, ERIA, March 2012. (with Hikari Ishido)
- "Toward a Consolidated Preferential Tariff Structure in East Asia: Going beyond ASEAN+1 FTAs," ERIA Policy Brief No.2012-03, ERIA, May 2012. (with Arata Kuno)
- "Enforcing TRIPS: Challenges of Adjudicating Minimum Standards Agreements," 23 Berkeley Technology Law Journal 867, 2008.
Bar Admission in New York State, U.S.A. (2008-present)
Member, The Japan Association of International Economic Law (2008-present)